PDA

View Full Version : Advice on intructional books...

Leviathon
05-02-2003, 02:18 PM
What books would you all recommend buying for someone who knows how to read music, understands chord structure, but needs more instruction when it comes learning the fretboard. Fingering techniques. Example. Alot of the lessons here are great, but what are the correct fingerings for the rifs. I try and play them but don't know if I am playing them technically correct.

Basically, what would be an essential book for someone wanting to learn scales and chords and patterns and riffs. Is there just one or is there a series that you guys would recommend?

Oceano
05-02-2003, 03:25 PM
I am still doing book 2 of "A modern method for guitar vol.1,2,3", and I find it very good. I presents lessons in a progressive manner, and you feel like you are learning the instrument in a progressive way that makes sense.

One thing I have to say, is that what matters is the end product (the sound/music), not how you achieve it (technique, fingerings, etc).

There is no right or wrong. Sure there are easier and harder ways of playing certain things, but even then, what some people might find easier, others might find harder.

NorseWolf
05-04-2003, 11:26 AM
For Me....

The Guitar Grimoire - ? (you can find it)sorry
The Guitar Handbook - by Ralph Denyer

and lotsa paper, pencils and some pens, and rulers.
Draw out all the notes...get mass copies, build scales, chords, whatever, everything, everywhere on the fretboard.

You'll get it down...worked for me in my early days.

Those are really the only books I've used, besides for theory,

Harmony - by Walter Piston, edited by Mark Devoto
Killer book

Koala
05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Id have to agree with oceano about william g. leavits´s series. ANd id also recommend john petrucci´s rock discipline. Even if youre not into shredding it really helps your technique and lends a hand on constructing runs and licks.

Leviathon
05-06-2003, 04:38 AM
Thanks that for the advice guys. I know this is so cliche' but I just learned the into to Stairway to heaven. Anyways, I want books that will teach techniques on "shredding". I read all the great licks that the instructers lay down and read the tablature, but I am not sure how they are actually playing the notes.

I mean, when I hear how fast some of the licks go I think, MY GOD, there fingers must have slick 50 in 'em or something to move that fast. Are the notes being hammered, tapped, being played simultaneously with the right and left hand on the fret board, I just don't know.:confused:

So if there is a good Lead Guitar book that will teach techniques with lots of pictures give me your suggestions. I am pursing lessons at a local music store that has a few really good guitarist. I appreciate your help guys.

Oceano
05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
There are so many books, that it is hard to chose which ones to get.

Here are some that are very, very good.

"Speed mechanics for lead guitar" by Troy Stetina. This book kind of became legendary in the whole shreding thing. Everything here is about shred (alternate/sweep/legato,etc,etc).

"Terrifying Technique for guitar" by Carl Culpepper. This book is all about building technique (alternate/sweep/legato/hybrid,etc,etc).

Check out their websites first.

Hope this helps. I have both books, and still use them all the time.

Koala
05-07-2003, 03:32 AM
If you want those shred techniques then I say Petrucci´s Rock Discipline is a must. Try to get a hold of the book+dvd or vhs its pretty tight and you can work on it for ages.
Im not sure who´s the publisher, warner or hal leonard maybe. But just check amazon, it should be on there.

K

Oceano
05-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Rock discipline is a very good book too.