PDA

View Full Version : Pinky Problem

SostenutO
12-15-2006, 03:55 AM
I've been playing piano for over 2 years and still when I play my pinky jumps up when the fourth finger hits a note. For example, when I play the first Hanon excercise, my pinky jumps right before I play it's note. Same thing with left and right hand. Should I be making an effort to stop this by really concentrating on it, or should I continue to practice my technique normally and it will eventually strengthen and go away?

Thank you.

joeyd929
12-16-2006, 02:09 AM
I've been playing piano for over 2 years and still when I play my pinky jumps up when the fourth finger hits a note. For example, when I play the first Hanon excercise, my pinky jumps right before I play it's note. Same thing with left and right hand. Should I be making an effort to stop this by really concentrating on it, or should I continue to practice my technique normally and it will eventually strengthen and go away?

Thank you.

Maybe try and relax your hand a second or two before applying pinky. My fingers do that sometimes after all these years if I don't relax in between notes. I usually take an area where that happens and put a deliberate 2 or 3 second pause and make a point to relax my hand for a moment.

It's worth a shot. Sometimes my hands tenses up and it just gets worse.

SostenutO
12-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Okay. I've just been thinking about whether or not to try and fix it. Sometimes I feel like if I don't make an effort to stop my pinky from jumping, I'm only making it worse and making my mind think it is supposed to be jumping like that. And other times I just think it should go away the more I practice technique.