PDA

View Full Version : When changing strings

dacop
04-14-2003, 02:30 PM
When changing strings, is it ok to take all of them off so I can clean the fret board a little easier. I have heard that you should keep a few strings on to keep some tension on the neck.

Thanks

the1andonly
04-14-2003, 03:11 PM
it's ok to take them all off. but take them off slowly and one at a time. it also will probably have to be reinotated when you're done, but it won't cause any damage to your guitar.

Wyll_Watts
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi there Dacop..

As the1andonly said, it's pretty much ok to take them all off and do a little cleaning while you're at it... there are a few cases where you may not want to though.. if you have a floating bridge system it's easier to do them one at a time so it doesn't take so long to get the tension balance right again... also, on certain archtop instruments, the bridge may not be held onto the top by anything other than the string pressure, in this case you would just change one string at a time as well.. Ok, I'm going to rant now, feel free to ignor what follows.. :-)

you here some people say that taking all of the strings off of a guitar is detrimental to the neck and causes structural and intonation problems.. well, with a small minority of instruments this might be the case, but most modern instuments are fairly sound structurally and you should have no problems.. most string related sturctural problems I've seen result from someone using strings that have a higher tension than the instument is designed for.. for example, putting steel 13s on a classical guitar is VERY bad thing.. I've also seen a few cases where an instument is shipped with strings at full tension and broken headstocks resulting from the combined stress of the string tension and the shippers tossing the box around like a football and all that....

so.. ummm.. after all that, just take em all off, it's ok.. lol

Wyll Watts