PDA

View Full Version : 2 note per string scales

joeyd929
12-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I put this in "mental stuff" because it's not really theory or improv. To avoid using my pinky when it starts to act up, I came up with some alternate scale fingerings.

They are 2 note per string and you can completely avoid the pinky for these. I attached a power tab file with Ionian, Dorian, and Phrygian to make my point. You can do any mode, even harmonic and melodic minor.

Check it out. It requires moving horizontally much more so you have to be used to moving out of position. They sound really good descending also. It just gives the scale a different feel, more jazzy in some ways....

Check out powertab file.

Mandz
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
cool - it would never have even occurred to me to think of doing that before :)

Malcolm
01-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Love two notes per string patterns - AKA pentatonic patterns as they beg for slides, bends, hammer on and pull offs.

Holger Persch
01-03-2007, 06:57 AM
They are 2 note per string and you can completely avoid the pinky for these.
Why do you avoid using the pinky?

I'm actually putting some extra practice into getting it trained as well as all the other fingers. IMHO many guitar players are neglecting the pinky. I think it's a benefit if one can use the pinky as well as the other fingers, especially for sweeping and arpeggios.

Holger

Jed
01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
To avoid using my pinky when it starts to act up, I came up with some alternate scale fingerings.

Joe,

I can't open the PowerTab file (mac guy) but I'm curious what you mean by a pinky "acting up". Is it a tendontinis thing? Most of my practice makes extensive use of the pinky and is focused primarily on positional work in order to overcome those challenges rather than find a work-around. But if I had RSI issues I can definately understand the motivation.

cheers,