PDA

View Full Version : Tapping

Darkstar
04-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi

I recently listened to the artist Buckethead. His tapping technique impressed me, although I dont always like the way he uses it. Are there any artists that use this style of "extreme tapping".
Do you know of any lessons on the net on how to tap like that?
thanx allot peace:)

NMucci
04-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Hello,
Jeff Watson and Jennifer Batten both use mult-fingered tapping.
White Lion's Vito Bratta uses tapping alot, it's usually more melodic though. Greg Howe uses it too.
Stanley Jordan does tapping in jazz.

Some of the forums here have muti-fingered tapping licks in them.

Hope that helped:) .

Sjonesmusic
04-13-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Darkstar
Hi

I recently listened to the artist Buckethead. His tapping technique impressed me, although I dont always like the way he uses it. Are there any artists that use this style of "extreme tapping".
Do you know of any lessons on the net on how to tap like that?
thanx allot peace:)

I do a bit of it in these 2 pieces:

The first cut is an un-released Drum and Guitar Solo...its very free form, but has a lot of the "extreme" tapping you mentioned...

I'm playing both guitar and drums on this one:

Guitar and Drum Duet-Sjones © 2001 (http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/additl-files/scott-drumsolo-wgtr.mp3)

This next track is from my fusion CD and the solo is entirely tapped...

From Nothing-Sjones © 2002 (http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/FreedomCD/23798b.mp3)

As far as learning it, I just picked up along the way, but I'd recommend checking out some videos and books on the subject...

Peace,

Scott Jones

Bizarro
04-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Scott, could you transcribe a portion of the extreme tapping? That would be very helpful!

The first solo was very dissonant!;) Do you use a mathematical approach in any of your patterns?

Wyll_Watts
04-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Darkstar,

If you are starting out with the multi finger tapping you may want to check out Joe Satriani's song Midnight.. it may be a little cheesy by now but I still think it is pretty cool and it is not extremely difficult with a little practice.. also here is a powertab file of some random two-hand tapping exercises I put together one time..

Wyll Watts

Wyll_Watts
04-16-2003, 09:55 PM
the power tab file didn't show up on my last post.. hopefully I'll get it right this time.. if not... I'll have to figure this out and get back to you..

Wyll

Wyll_Watts
04-18-2003, 12:00 PM
ok, the files should be going through ok this time..

two-hand tapping exercises...

seven_strings
04-21-2003, 01:44 AM
nice tab wyll..... I'd like to hear that on guitar I bet it rules... I'm gonna give it a shot over the next few days and probably fail seeing as how im not to big of a tamp monster I'm more of a tap dust mite lol ... but killer riff

Wyll_Watts
04-21-2003, 01:57 AM
thanks seven..

a few notes on that tab..

it's basically a few themes and variations.. I've never actually played that thing the same way twice.. the tab is just kind of a general idea.. it's just some random stuff I play to keep up my two-hand chordal tapping skills.. I developed a pretty good chordal tapping technique early on when I started playing guitar but for some reason my 'traditional' tapping has never been that good... I very rarely play anything using the old E.V. style or it's variants.. also, the rhythm on this piece should not be exact, speed it up or slow it down, vary the dynamics etc.. enjoy, and if you come up with any cool chordal two hand tapping stuff please share, I love that sort of thing..

Wyll

Bizarro
04-21-2003, 04:20 AM
Wyll, that's really cool. What type of tone do you use when you play it? I think a clean sound would be nice, sort of a jazzy full sound.

Thorsten
04-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey Scott, just wanted to say your soundfiles are pretty amazing! I just love that jazz/fusion stuff and you´re a highly talented player. I can hear that Holdsworth influence very much. Great stuff!!!

TK

Wyll_Watts
04-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Hey Bizarro
I do use a full jazz tone for the chrodal tapping stuff, but I usually dial back the bass just a tad and add a little more reverb than I would in a traditional jazz setting. The other tone I use for this sort of tapping stuff is that very sterile, clean sound you get from high output active pickups in the neck position (like EMG-81s), add a touch of echo and it actually comes off pretty well.

I've been trying to use this tapping technique on acoustic for the past year or so, but I have not found an acoustic guitar that really puts out enough of the sound of the tapped note to really drown out the sort of "ping" fret noise. Of course I've been using Martins with medium to medium high action so I probably have just not found the right guitar for the job. Does anyone have an recommendations for an acoustic guitar that handles tapping well?

Wyll

Danny K
04-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey Wyll,
checked out your drum & guitar solo track. Pretty good work. I do alot of 2 handed chordal work as well. Check out Afterglow, Changes Pt. 1 & Alien Water Dance (http://dannyk.iuma.com) at my IUMA page. Afterglows main guitar part is all tapped (except for the solo) & Changes & Alien Water Dance were entirely tapped.

As for using an acoustic guitar for tapping I've gotten good results with my Takamine classical.

Danny K
p.s. I'll check out your fusion cd links when I have more time :)

Wyll_Watts
04-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Danny..

if you were referring to the tab then thanks.. otherwise I think you were confusing me with Scott Jones who posted his drum and solo sound files and fusion links. (and he is also much better than me!!)

Wyll

Danny K
04-21-2003, 04:27 PM
:o Sorry, my mistake.Danny K (http://dannyk.iuma.com)