PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Easy Funk

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I see a lot of debate about how funky is a chord and of course it's all a bit subjective and individual, one mans funk is another mans...well you get the idea.

But I think there are some easy characteristics that can be used to sim that funk sound.

I take a simple minor triad on the EBG strings, slide it into position from a semi-tone down and vary it with the pinky to add the extensions. Dmin in this instance.

Check the clip to hear my ideas. I ramble off in a pent/dorian section but mainly stick to my easy funk riff.

Anyone else have some easy funk ideas to throw into the ring?

As usual I post backing track for you guys to have a play around with in Dmin.

Enjoy.

Apple-Joe
11-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Now this is a nice beat. Listening to the backing track first, then the one with lead.

Certainly getting in the mood by listening to this backing track. Eager to hear the version with lead. It begins in less than half a minute...

This is nice! Definitely funky. Interesting chords on the guitar. When it comes to the bass line, how about making it more rapid at some places? Ie. not let it ring, just cut a note here and there abruptly.

At any rate, I enjoyed the general flavour greatly.

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Joe, it was the backing track from the Miss Icey rap so I didn't edit it, just let it run as it were.

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Would you mind if I loaded the jam into my 8 track and threw in some improv and post it? I love to play over funk rhythm...

UKRuss
11-26-2006, 07:06 PM
That's the idea of the strictlies Joe, have a jam over it and let us all know what you've done so we can share some ideas and learn form each other.

The key to this one is to let everyone have an idea for an easy way to get funking.

ps ( note to all, I just noticed the riddim jumps at one stage in the BT, sorry for that you'll just have to make do I'm afraid.)

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
That's the idea of the strictlies Joe, have a jam over it and let us all know what you've done so we can share some ideas and learn form each other.

The key to this one is to let everyone have an idea for an easy way to get funking.

ps ( note to all, I just noticed the riddim jumps at one stage in the BT, sorry for that you'll just have to make do I'm afraid.)

Thanx. I will record something over that and post it.. Love to jam and expirement with funk rhythms...Lots of room to expirement..Thanx again.

joeyd929
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM

I loaded it to my recorder but my hands are shot today... Spent most of the day working through some chord books...Can barely move my fingers....

My hands go into this atrophy sort of state so I gotta rest up for a day or so...I hate it when this happens but I have spent lots of time over the past few days working on chords that require stretching.

I am careful with stretching but it takes a toll, but usually a day or two off and I'm back to normal....Will try and post something then..thanx.

jade_bodhi
11-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Nice funk, MR. Russ. Seems simple enough to get the hang of it. I'd like to learn more of this style. I love blues but am not proficient at all types. I do love Frusciante's guitar on Blood Sugar Sex Magic, which I would call ultra funky in places. I also like old Sam and Dave records and the Isley Brothers, which seem funky to me.

It sounds like one convention of funk is to play treble string chords above the fifth fret, no? Also, the funky sound favors seventh chords, no? These are just my novice impressions.

Jade

Shredmaniac
11-27-2006, 07:14 AM
You also have the palm-muted, single notes riffs. I find it easier to get a solid groove going that way at first, since strummed 16ths require a bit of practice to start sounding funky enough, with a consistency in volume, note duration, attack, and tone. Prince still kills me when he starts playing those funky guitar parts. Makes you want to just jump out of your seat and dance like a maniac. Now THAT'S groove =)

UKRuss
11-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Indeed! You guys have picked two of the finest exponents of course, and they take the sound to the next level.

I thought we could start with some simple ideas to kick it off.

The single note palm muted stuff is another excellent example of basic funk technique. let's hear a sample!

Jade, I heard someone say once: "Funk on the top 3 strings, jazz on the middle four and rock on the bottom three"

An oversimplification of course but perhaps not a bad rule of thumb.

furiousnewf
11-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Simple??? I found it pretty hard! Anyway, another mindless rambling!!!!

Here's a cool site with some funky chords though!

http://www.beaurocks.com/funk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Oh and here's my post....

jade_bodhi
11-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Jade, I heard someone say once: "Funk on the top 3 strings, jazz on the middle four and rock on the bottom three"

Very apropos. Maybe only guitar players can understand this quotation, but it has the ring of truth.

joeyd929
11-28-2006, 01:27 AM

Very interesting solo, nice use of space, not rushed...then at the end you let em have it with some nice quick runs... good vibrato...nice tone....

joeyd929
11-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Ok, well, I gave it a shot..just got home from work and the hands are feeling a little better.....Here is my so called "solo" jam over miss funky...

Sorry about the recording levels, my recording set up is a bit funky as well....hard to get levels I want....anyway, here it is, yo!

UKRuss
11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Nice one guys, I'll check 'em out this evening when I get in.

mattblack850
11-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Excellent idea again Russ buddy!!!!! I shall be putting something to gether for this, but it will only be clean guitars as my Zoom has just passed on to the great Effects Cemetary in the sky!!!:(

So, I'm thinking along the lines of multi-layering some different lines in an attept to mask the lack of effects!!!

jade_bodhi
11-29-2006, 03:00 AM

I checked out this site, and I'm confused. The first chord on the site is referred to as a Gm7. It looks like a C7 to me. How can that be. That made me skeptical of the rest of the information, especially since the author uses all those idiosyncratic chord names. If he can't use standard musical language, he's going to confuse the people he's trying to instruct.

Jade

joeyd929
11-29-2006, 04:38 AM
I checked out this site, and I'm confused. The first chord on the site is referred to as a Gm7. It looks like a C7 to me. How can that be. That made me skeptical of the rest of the information, especially since the author uses all those idiosyncratic chord names. If he can't use standard musical language, he's going to confuse the people he's trying to instruct.

Jade

Actually, that first chord is correctly named as Gminor7

If you look at the notes he has on that chord diagram, it is

G, G, Bb, F and G

This is basically a G minor 7 chord with no fifth. He does use an E in place of the F and goes back and fourth. When he is on the E it would be a G minor 6.

I understand why it looks like a C7 because a Cdominant 7 has the following notes. C E G Bb

Some of these notes are also in the G minor 7 chord but have different values.

In G minor, G is the root, Bb is the minor 3rd, F is the minor 7 and the E would be a minor 6.

In C7, C is the Root, G is the 5th, Bb is the b7 and E would be the third, F would be the 4 (or 11)

Hope that helps.

joeyd929
11-29-2006, 05:22 AM

That funky chord site is great! Love it..lots of excellent riffs to learn....

UKRuss
11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Furious some nice multi layered stuff going on there.

Joey, some gilmouresque tonality going on there.

Where was the funk riddim chops though guys? We KNOW you got the rock chops let's hear the riddim:D

furiousnewf
12-01-2006, 01:16 AM
They were there in the layered riddim tracks!!!!:p

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Furious some nice multi layered stuff going on there.

Joey, some gilmouresque tonality going on there.

Where was the funk riddim chops though guys? We KNOW you got the rock chops let's hear the riddim:D

Please define glimouresque, never heard that one? But thanx, I think...

furiousnewf
12-01-2006, 01:33 AM
David Gilmour like???? Or maybe it reminded him of a Gilmore Girls episode??? Who knows, brits are crazy!!!! :)

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 02:00 AM
David Gilmour like???? Or maybe it reminded him of a Gilmore Girls episode??? Who knows, brits are crazy!!!! :)

Oh! I like David Gilmore, thanx........I should re-record with some more funky stuff...

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it, that whole pink floyd thing in the 70's really had a big influence on me...Sometimes I just forget my influences over the years.

David Gilmore had a nice way of just playing tasty licks without getting into speed but he would throw in a tasty little "quickie" here and there....

I like anything from Steve Howe, of Yes...Totally original thing going on there, he was much more into composition and his solos screamed Steve Howe......

UKRuss
12-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Yep, Dave G. That's the one.

Yes, apols I should havbe qualified Furious did have the riddim going on, but Joey was just rockin'out! Nothing wrong with that, cept this is about the funk chops!

ps. I am only a little crazy. On a wednesday. With the wind behind. Going downhill.

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM

Yes, apols I should havbe qualified Furious did have the riddim going on, but Joey was just rockin'out! Nothing wrong with that, cept this is about the funk chops!

ps. I am only a little crazy. On a wednesday. With the wind behind. Going downhill.

Funk chops....However, notice that around 1 minute 9 seconds I do this little funk thing where you strum all the strings and hit one note..it's not just about funk chops, it is about playing over funk rhythm..

Everyone has a different style. I can take that same music and play several different styles of solo over it.....Think I will record it again with a different, more "funky" sort of thing going on.....anyone mind if I record it again and post?

mattblack850
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Phew!!! I'm crazy Thursday through to Tuesday, thank the Lord we don't clash!!!:D

UKRuss
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Indeed!:D

You are quite correct joey, although might have missed the point of the strictly which was to demonstrate a funk technique specifically.

You'll know when you can demonstrate your flexibility in style when i post "Strictly Whatever You Feel Like";)

ashc
12-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Thought I'd give this a go, particular as I've noticied that my timing has been getting worse recently - funk stuff has helped in the past with this for me (although not today it seems).

I tried to use the breaks in the track to try out a different idea each section. The missing beat (?) in the second section was more than I could handle so I added another track with some (fake) sax to cover the guitar over!! After that an extra track on each part on the rest of the track was mandatory!

All the voicings are various pieces of Dm7 with the odd M6 added in here and there.

Ash.

joeyd929
12-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Thought I'd give this a go, particular as I've noticied that my timing has been getting worse recently - funk stuff has helped in the past with this for me (although not today it seems).

I tried to use the breaks in the track to try out a different idea each section. The missing beat (?) in the second section was more than I could handle so I added another track with some (fake) sax to cover the guitar over!! After that an extra track on each part on the rest of the track was mandatory!

All the voicings are various pieces of Dm7 with the odd M6 added in here and there.

Ash.

Cool

UKRuss
12-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Very sweet Ash!

Yes, apols re the backing track. I'm busy on quite a few projects at the moment so just chucked this one together off the back of the Icey Rap. Should have put more time into sorting that out.

ashc
12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
No need for apols.. :D It was all good fun of a saturday avo'

I was musing that missing beats do happen sometimes in a jam situation if you have a start/stop type of song and coping with those is a skill I don't have - strictly missing beats anyone? ;)

mattblack850
12-03-2006, 12:05 PM
strictly missing beats anyone? ;)
I am a master at them and none of them intentional!!!!:p :D

hairballxavier
12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Ok, well, I gave it a shot..just got home from work and the hands are feeling a little better.....Here is my so called "solo" jam over miss funky...

Sorry about the recording levels, my recording set up is a bit funky as well....hard to get levels I want....anyway, here it is, yo!

Nice take Joeyd929. That rocks. The phrasing is excellent. Great use of dynamics. Nice syncopation, nice use of double stops. I really enjoyed that one.

That is what music is all about, projecting emotion.

hairballxavier
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Funk chops....However, notice that around 1 minute 9 seconds I do this little funk thing where you strum all the strings and hit one noteIt goes from about 01:00 to about 01:20.

Joeyd929, could you please explain that technique you are using there in a little more detail?

joeyd929
07-30-2008, 04:59 PM
It goes from about 01:00 to about 01:20.

Joeyd929, could you please explain that technique you are using there in a little more detail?

Wow, it's been a while, I forgot about this. I will take a listen tonight and try to explain.

joeyd929
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
It goes from about 01:00 to about 01:20.

I made a quick video titlet "example of miss funky solo". Here is the link..

http://www.youtube.com/user/joeyguitarlo

I realized that it is easier to show than explain, it's really simple.

maryjstar89
02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
this is an interesting thread!

lencoo12
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Now this is a nice beat. Listening to the backing track first, then the one with lead.

Certainly getting in the mood by listening to this backing track. Eager to hear the version with lead. It begins in less than half a minute...

This is nice! Definitely funky. Interesting chords on the guitar. When it comes to the bass line, how about making it more rapid at some places? Ie. not let it ring, just cut a note here and there abruptly.

At any rate, I enjoyed the general flavour greatly.
Thanks Joe, it was the backing track from the Miss Icey rap so I didn't edit it, just let it run as it were.

essaymojo
06-13-2019, 09:13 AM
whats is hidden content