PDA

View Full Version : writters block!

Antagonist
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I am currently brain dead when it comes to writing my own music. The "Writters Block" thing really bothers me as far as my guitar playing goes. I had been having great idea's for songs and was writting stuff that i was happy with...or challenged me so that i was progressing..i loved it! But now its like i've been memory wipped or something because everything I do work on ether sounds like another bands songs...or just doesn't impress me.

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions to get around this stupidness and become more open minded and creative again. Something that works for them...or what you dudes do when your about to write.

cuz this sucks :( haha
peace

Kinoble
09-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey there!

What are your musical tastes?

Listen to some more 'unusual' music you might not normally listen to. It may annoy you at first, but you may find some things you like and implement that into your playing, especially with rythms.

Maybe write with a melody first and put some chords behind it, Or lay down a progression and add the melody on top-do what you dont normally do.

Write with a 'theme' in mind. Maybe a conversation you heard, put it to song- actually while im on to this, Steve vai writes melodys that he hums-put a conversation down in melody or something.

Just some suggestions :D

Ben :cool:

Spino
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
First thing is not to worry bout it too much ,I personally don't think it's a good idea to make too stringent demands on your own creativity because the best ideas seem come when you're relaxed about the whole thing . If you've been writing a lot maybe it's time to concentrate on something else for awhile until the flow comes back.Like Kinoble says try something new ,scalewise , modal writing , Cadences ,just get the tools out and experiment you'll probably surprise yourself. G'luck.

Padawan
09-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Imo you should write a song when you feel like it and for the rest of the time there is a whole lot to practise.

snufeldin
09-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Listening to something new always works for me. It's really awesome now too because of all the music blogs that are out there.

jackaroe1276
09-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Always keep paper nearby so you can follow this little tidbit of advice-Write when you are at the peak of your emotions. If you are very happy about something, start writing. If you are pissed, start writing. If you are sad start writing. Etc.......... The overdose of emotion wil;l tend to reflect in your writing at the time. You might not write a great song in one setting, but start putting them all together and you would be amazed what will work together.

UKRuss
09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
You have to ditch your obession with ddouble letttters!:D Writer's block, memory wiped. Both single letters in the middle. That's my writer's tip of the day.;)

More seriously, what's your level of theoretical knowledge music wise?

A lot of music can be written by just poking around in the dark until you find something you like and a very good way is to hum/sing your melody as others have suggested.

The problems can stem from then not recognising what chords would work under that melody, how you create a harmony to go with it and what key is it in?

I found my writing got a lot easier when i could use a bit of theoretical knowledge to ease the melodic flow and understand the options and contexts I was working with.

IMO, it's not essential but does make the whole process much easier.

It's a balancing act though, you don't want to be so rigid with your theory that it stifles your creativity.

But it can make things quicker.

my 2p.

Antagonist
09-02-2006, 07:56 AM
well i play a lot of metal, blues and rock. But I don't have all that much theory down yet. Thats my focus right now. I just would like to keep progressing and having fun and enjoying my playing. But it seems to be coming to some what of a stand still. Thanx for the tips tho dudes.

this site is amazing.

UKRuss
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Yep, everyone's been there. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy yourself, never stop enjoying that's a given.

But maybe build in some theory time to your practice routine, work on some cadences and progressions. get the feel for where chords can go next etc.