PDA

View Full Version : Tool?

pkutcher
03-28-2003, 07:28 PM
I appreciated the help! I really like this web site.
I have another question. The band tool, do they use a lot of harmonic minors in the songs, because they tend to have an egyptian sound to them. If so, how would you come up with chords for every note in the harmonic minor scale? Does it follow the same guide lines for major scale chordal harmonies? Example being: I-major,IIminor,III-minor,-IV,Major...ect?

Thanks

Michel
03-28-2003, 09:41 PM
If it can help you let'say it in C minor

I = minor and or minor major so Cmi ,Cmi maj7
II=m7b5 so Dm7b5
III=Maj7+5 so EbMaj7+5
IV=mi7 so Fmi7
V= 7 so G7
VI=Maj7 so AbMaj7
VII= dim7 so Bdim7

Hope it helps

Michel

Wizbit81
03-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Tool use phrygian mostly as Adam Jones is not what you'd call a schooled player. Also, the chords he uses are usually power chords, (just root and fifth), without the upper extensions. He plays usually in drop-D tuning and plays these chords with one finger only. If you hear other cool sounding chords its either an add nine, (root fifth and ninth) played with one finger barring the low E, (tuned to D) and the A, with your middle finger playing a note two frets above on the D string. He also uses open D chord a fair bit and moves it up an octave on Stinkfist. Try to figure out how his rhythm playing interacts with the drums, Tool do lots of cool polyrhythmic stuff thats worth looking at.
by the way Harmonic Minor DOES NOT SOUND egyptian! It's 5th mode, Phrygian Dominant, Spanish Phrygian, Phrygian Major or whatever you want to call it can be made to sound that way but harmonic minor in itself does not sound egyptian. Try placing emphasis on the minor second of the scale to produce this sound. Jones does!
Good luck

EricV
03-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Michel already gave some helpful advice. Lemme try to explain the procedure to derive chords from that scale

Harmonic minor scale: 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7
Example: Key Of A: A - B - C - D - E - F - G# - A

Now, if we construct triads from this scale ( just like we do with the major and minor scale, by stacking thirds ) we get:

I: A - C- E = A min
II: B - D - F = Bdim
III: C E G# = C augm.
IV: D - F - A = Dmin
V: E- G# - B = E Major
VI: F - A - C= F Major
VII: G# - B - D = G# dim

Check out the attached Powertab-file ( If you still need the program, you can download it for free at http://powertab.guitarnetwork.org )

In the ptb-file, you first see / hear the A Harmonic Minor Scale. Itīs a 2 octave pattern.

Next, there are the triads mentioned above, played in an ascending fashion, from I to VII.
And at the end, there are those triads arpeggiated.
Hope this helps
Eric

DemonFire
04-05-2003, 03:17 AM
Tool is an amazing band, I actually came here looking to ask that Question about my FAVOURITE band...Lucky me!

*Maynard's Magdalena*:o :D

Cryonic
04-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Wizbit81
Tool use phrygian mostly as Adam Jones is not what you'd call a schooled player.

uh... if i'm not mistaken, Adam played cello & violin for about 10 years... :rolleyes:

metaljustice83
04-08-2003, 05:11 AM
anyone else here seen tool in concert, they were definatly awesome! danny careys drumming was unbelieveably tight, his snare fills sounded like machine guns.

Wizbit81
05-03-2003, 04:58 PM
cryonic. He might have played other instruments but that doesn't mean he was any good, lol. his guitar parts are simplistic and derived by fiddling about on the sofa, (as he admits in interviews), he doesn't really use theory in his playing just his ear. So he really isn't very schooled at all. He plays some cool stuff though.