PDA

View Full Version : Determining the Key of these Chords

Vaibrato
03-27-2003, 04:07 AM
What key is this song in if it contains these chords: E, F#, G, A, D, Bb, and C? Also, how would you go about determining the key? Thanks.

Shred Fan
03-27-2003, 06:09 AM
If it were those NOTES, then it would be G Major/E Minor with one note out of key (the Bb).

Whereas to determine what actual key it is in we need to know what type of chords they are (Maj, Min, Dim etc.). If they are all major, then there are a fair few notes being used that are out of key.

Michel
03-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Hello Vaibrato

E F# G A D Bb !
Is a G Melodic minor scale see
G A Bb C D E F# G
the chord would be Gmi6
but if you start on E the chord would be
E Locrian#2
The chord would be Emi7b5,Em9b5
If we take only the notes the key would be ... Bb

In what key is the song ??????
What is the chord progression????

Bongo Boy
04-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Vaibrato
What key is this song in if it contains these chords: E, F#, G, A, D, Bb, and C? Also, how would you go about determining the key? Thanks. Vaibrato: did you make any progress with this? Did you understand why the questions in the responses were important?

The approach I would have to take, not being an experienced music guy, would be to 1) determine the names of the chords (that's why Shred Fan said he needed to know the 'type' of chords we're looking at). In other words, "E" doesn't tell me enough--I need to know if you mean Ema, E7, etc. 2) Determine the order the chords are played in, then 3) For each chord, determine what scales it can be a chord for and for those scales, which scale degree the chord's root represents. For example, your "G" chord--if it's actually a G7, then I know it could possibly be acting as the V chord in C maj. If it's a nice Gma chord, then it could be the I chord in G maj, as a possible option. 4) Finally, using the information gleaned in steps 2) and 3), see if the chords represent a 'typical' chord progression for a given key, such as a ii-V-I progression, for example.

Those are the steps I would have to go thru rather mechanically, because I'm not a musician yet and may never be one. Seasoned guys will, I think, perform similar steps but probably more intuitively, with lots of other knowledge (e.g., chord substitutions) and intuition allowing them to see many variations on the textbook themes.

Also, it may not make sense to think of some music as being in a particular 'key'. While it may be written using a single key signature, lots of jazz stuff, for example, changes key frequently--so I'm told.

Now...if you have a specific piece of music you're asking about, think about posting it. We could then take a look and learn something--it could be a little iBM Virtual Workshop.