PDA

View Full Version : Can I sing?

Cobe
07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi All..

I have been told by many that my voice is bad..and I cant sing..which i totaly believe..its a case of sounds good to my self but bad to others.. but I love singing and would very much like to join a group.. Obviousely I wont join a group because many people tell me I cant sing so i am looking at booking singing lessons.. My question is..Will it do any good? can anyone have a good voice with the right training or do you have to have a good voice from the word go? is it a natural skill or can you LEARN to better your voice from a low standard to a high enough standard for people to say wow..he can sing?

Is it possible?

Thank you for your time and any help on this is greatly appreciated

Cobe

sixstrings121
07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
It is very possible.

Malcolm
07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
IMHO with training anything is possible, however, you have to weigh the cost and time it will take.

In my case I've come to the conclusion it's best that I play and let the vocals go to others. I'll join in on the chorus and tags, but beyond that I keep my mouth shut.

Sounds like something you want to do so invest three months time and money in lessons and then make a decision.

Cobe
07-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you Malcom..Very good idea..I mean..Money isnt a problem..neither is time.. I do a lot of acting for film and television but I have recently really wanted to join a group..The main factor is..I wrote a song for my girlfriend.. I want to get it recorded but I want to sound like an angel.. Not an angel with a chest infection lol

Cobe
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
lol thanks snufeldin..Lemme guess..U a girl?

Cobe
07-29-2006, 04:35 PM
lol oepsy soz bud

Padawan
07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I guess you must be born with the voice. I know someone who had lessons and he got better and sings the right notes, but his voice just sucks and makes me sick! :D

Kinoble
07-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I have been told by many that my voice is bad..and I cant sing..

Sounds like you have very encouraging friends :D

From my very limited knowledge on singing, you can train to sing, and its not something you are necessarily born with. However i think there are people with a natural apptitude to sing, just like there are with guitar. I think it is quite essential to be 'in key' when you sing, as it helps connect melodies and notes that you sing to your brain.

Ben :cool:

Padawan
07-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Of course you can train to sing, but you have to be born with a beautiful voice because your voice doesn't change, so if your voice sucks, your voice will suck forever, hehe.

Lowthorpe
07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Thank you Malcom..Very good idea..I mean..Money isnt a problem..neither is time.. I do a lot of acting for film and television but I have recently really wanted to join a group..The main factor is..I wrote a song for my girlfriend.. I want to get it recorded but I want to sound like an angel.. Not an angel with a chest infection lol

Provided you sing in tune, I don't think it will matter at all what your voice sounds like for something like this. You play a song you wrote for your girlfriend and sing in tune, it won't matter if you sound like a sugared-up car engine, she'll love it.

Nick

Cobe
07-31-2006, 05:33 PM
lol thanks for the replies guys..I have honest friends shall we say lol..I think your righht with the singing in tune thing though..I mean..last night i went to a bar and started singing this song what come on and one of the girls in the group said how lovely my voice was..perhaps i was pissed and it helped me to sing in tune? lol i dont know..must have had an off day lol but perhaps thats it..maybe i did sing in tune to the song for once and it must have sounded alright..

Padawan
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Cobe, you really should play that song for your girlfriend, I'm sure she will be touched and the reward will be great!

Lowthorpe
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Cobe, you really should play that song for your girlfriend, I'm sure she will be touched and the reward will be great!

I'm sure he didn't write it with getting a 'reward' in mind, but well, the 'reward' will definately be an added bonus. :p

Nick

Cobe
08-01-2006, 05:58 PM
lol I certainly didnt think of any kind of reward whilst writing it..but any is welcome :p nah reason I wrote it is because shes one of those girls that doesnt like confrontation..She doesnt like sitting there and talking between the two of us and opening our hearts to each other so i thought what better way to tell her I love her and tell her my exact feelings than to write it in a song?..

Call me soppy but she is worth it

snufeldin
08-01-2006, 11:01 PM
If you screw up it's over forever and there's no coming back. So you should definitely have a contingency plan. Personally, I think you should just start singing ridiculously breathy, but come up with something you're comfortable with.

Romp
09-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Money isnt a problem..neither is time

Okay so basically, if I'm reading this right, you already have everything we all want - yet you want to be able to sing like John Mayer, too. Ever hear the expression "the grass is always greener..."?

Seriously, though, I've been wondering the same thing about vocals. I'm told that I have a good voice, but when I listen objectively to it, I hear all kinds of problems that I think formal training could correct. Although I don't have the scads of unlimited time and money like you do, so it would be difficult for me to actually do.

But I'm not bitter.

Seriously.

:rolleyes: