PDA

View Full Version : goals?

Anjie
07-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I know almost everyone harbours a desire to be a super amazing guitar player, belting out their tunes to an overflowing stadium (or is that just me?:confused: ) but what about short-term goals? Like over the summer for example, if anything, what do you want to achieve in your guitar playing by september?

As a beginner I want to:
Get the changes in between chords smooth,
Play some picking patterns and scales fast
Master playing Street Spirit and the Zephyr Song
Master barre chords
Write a simple song or two.

Hopefully after having achieved all this I'd probably have alot of new goals to work on.

How about you??

Adam_7773
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
My goals for the summer would be to be able to play my 16-note runs, arpeggios, and legato runs with ease at a higher tempo each week. Plus playing through a Holdsworth-tune or two.

silent-storm
07-04-2006, 12:27 AM
by the end of the summer I want to be able to voice lead individual notes when I play chords and I want to be able to consistantly hear my solos in my head before I play them.

and of course the standards that never change: learn more tunes, don't forget any I already know, and play with more people.

forgottenking2
07-04-2006, 12:43 AM
By the end of the summer I want to:

-Improve my vibrato
-Get better at hybrid picking
-Know at least 20 new chord shapes and be able to use them as well as the
ones I already know.
-Improve my rhythmic ideas/comping
-Be able to follow chords better when improvising.
-Not fail the summer clases I'm taking by being too busy practicing :)
-Learn a few more standards (5 or so... don't have a lot of time)
-Be 20 lbs lighter :p

-Jorge

Lowthorpe
07-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Improve my repetoire. VASTLY. For where I want to be at the moment, I have a satisfactory technique and everything, but I definately want/need a repetoire of songs, both my own, written songs, and existing songs.

Nick

UKRuss
07-04-2006, 07:24 AM
I just want to move house before the summer is finished:(

Anything else is a bonus.

ashc
07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Thats the ultimate position shifting challenge :D

UKRuss
07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
They have different guitars in Sussex...and 6 fingers.

oo-aar.

ashc
07-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Ah yes, I have heard tale of such things from travellers who have been in those lands :)

Back to the topic... Goals...

1) The main one for me is to actually get some finesse and less mistakes on what I can do already. Not faster or tricky or new techniques or anything like that just play the repetoire I have already much better - It's never quite right.

To get this you do in reality have to keep improving on the technical aspect but it's not the main goal for me right now.

After that:

2) More repetoire!
3) phrasing, vibrato, intonation and breaking out of the box..
4) Improvising with the changes and also over non-diatonic progressions.

To the OP: Street Spirit requires a fair amount of right hand stamina and concentration to keep that pattern going all the way through.

Zephyr Song I never tried, but RHCP songs are sometimes deceptively more difficult than they might first appear - it doesn't help that John makes it seem so easy with all those little variations off the cuff.

Anjie
07-04-2006, 06:51 PM
To the OP: Street Spirit requires a fair amount of right hand stamina and concentration to keep that pattern going all the way through.

Zephyr Song I never tried, but RHCP songs are sometimes deceptively more difficult than they might first appear - it doesn't help that John makes it seem so easy with all those little variations off the cuff.

Yeah it took alot of work to get the right hand picking going well, now I need to focus on getting the chord changes right. I loove the song though so I don't mind :cool:.

And it's true John does make it sound so effortless when he plays which is so not the case!

Peace.

Unhorizon
07-11-2006, 12:24 PM
@thread starter
Those goals seem reasonable for the summer. If you practice an hour or two a day, you could easily nail all that stuff. Although, I've been playing for 5 years, and while I can play barre chords pretty well, I wouldn't say I nail them every time.

Anjie
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Hmm Yeah from all the practice I don't think I'm too far off from getting what I want over the summer, excepth barre chords are still killing me!

Tacobell
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
My gaol is to be reading treble cleft and bass cleft by the end of the summer.
It not as cool as leaning sweep picking or working on speed, but there are some advantiges to learnig to read music. My plan is to just learn the book I bought all thats in it is classical guitar studys...which is my other goal finger picking.

Kinoble
07-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Tacobells right, learn to read music as soon as you can! ;)

I was keen not to learn to read when i was younger, since then i have realised that to have a career relating to music at all, you will have to read music sometime, i.e. guitar teacher, musician if you get asked to do a session etc, they will give you the score and expect you to play it.

Tabs great and very helpful for learning fretboard positions, but the lack of rythmic value makes it impossible to play a piece you havent heard before, which is not the case with reading music.

I share the same goal as tacobell for this summer! :D

Ben :cool:

irinamarella
07-16-2006, 01:21 AM
For this summer I want to improve on

a) my finger picking + getting my accoutic guitar to sound better ( :D I know, I am the one who can't play, it's not my guitar!)

b) sight-reading. I wasn't to keen on this because I didn't know the notes on the fretboard. But my teacher doesn't use tabs at all because "you need to know what you are playing". Hence, he made me start to sigh-read and I am still amazed at how easy it was... not that what I did was that complicated, but still. ;)

c) Minor pentanotic scales. After doing so much classical guitar, I feel like I need to play my electric guitar a bit. So I am working on learning the patterns and root note. Hopefully, I'll get to improsing...

In short, all I can say is so far, so good. I've beed able to practice about 80 minutes a day, and I see progress!!! It's slow, but stready!!! :)

Wow. Some of goals are similar to the ones of Tacobell and Kinoble. Nice to see that I won't be alone struggleling with reading this summer! ;)

Anjie
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey all, now summer is pretty much over, I was wondering how everyone got on with their summer goals. In terms of mine, I achieved most things except for nailing barre chords (grrr!) and the zephyr song. :cool:

joeyd929
09-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Bringing my guitar on vacation with me. Plan on sitting around the cottage practicing something but I don't know what yet. Tired of same routine. Thinking about working on some walking bass and chords together..