PDA

View Full Version : Unusual ( ? ) tuning

EricV
03-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi guys,
I figured I´d share this... a few months ago, I wrote some songs with a really good singer. The goal was to write songs which could be performed only with one guitar and a voice.
So no arrangement-tricks etc.
It usually was: I wrote the songs, she wrote the lyrics and vocal-lines.
For one of the songs, I used a rather unusual tuning... I had experimented with add9-chords, and I had used a c#min add9-chord with open e- and b-string. This was too high for her to sing the song over, so we transposed the chords down a full step.
This required me to tune down the high e- and b-string one whole step. Only those two.
And suddenly, I came up with some really cool, kinda lush-sounding chords, based on regular chords ( like G, D/F#, Emin ) and add9-chords, used in combination with those open strings.

I only have a demo-MP3 which we recorded one night with a real simple homerecording-setup. There´s a lot of background noise, so I decided not to put it here. Sometime this year, a better version will be produced, and maybe then I can add an MP3.
But I figured since the song by now is copyrighted, I could share some of the guitar-parts with you guys.

So, maybe the attached Powertab-file will give you an idea of those chords... these are the guitar-parts I came up with for the song. Some parts ( pre-chorus ) are really easy to play, some involve those weird stretches I use a lot ( like the chorus ).
Hope you´ll like it, and I hope this might give you some ideas...

Eric

EricV
03-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Oopsie, forgot the indicators which part is which...
well, the first four bars are the intro / verse, the next five ( the fifth is a variation, used at the end of the repeat ) is the pre-chorus, and the final four bars in the TAB show the chorus-part...
Eric

PS: The attached ptb is the updated version, with rehearsal letters indicating those parts

Oceano
03-21-2003, 08:25 PM
I love playing with alternate tunings. I admit that at first, I didn't care to try it, because I figured that I spent so much time learning the guitar a certain way, so why would I want to try anything else.
Hwever, ever since I discovered Adrian Legg years ago, I became an addict of alternate tunings, mainly for fingerpicking accoustic. It opens up so many possibilities, lower bases, drones, etc, and the possibilities become endless. Also, it gives me a breather from the stuff I play with my electric, and when I come back to it, I tend to have fresher ideas.

the1andonly
03-21-2003, 08:33 PM
that's some pretty cool sounding stuff. I'll have to try your tuning sometime. have you ever tried playing with DADGAD tuning? it's the same as yours, but with the low E also tuned down a step. it's one of my favorites.

EricV
03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey you´re right, I never noticed that !
Yeah, I did try the DADGAD-tuning for a while on acoustic guitar... back then, I was listening to Led Zeppelin pretty much 24/7, the "Coverdale / Page" album had just been released, and I wanted to try the tuning... also tried the "regular" open chord tunings ( I still played a lot of slide-guitar back then )
I learned "Kashmir" and parts of the "Summer SOng" ( If I remember right. I think that one was in DADGAD tuning too ).
What´s weird that,a lthough I LOVED the sounds you could get with open tunings, I stopped experimenting with them shortly after that phase. I dunno, I think I was like "OK, there is a whole other big chunk of stuff to explore, lemme get back to regular tuning for now and return to it later"... it was a bit intimidating to consider all the different tunings, and how far you can drift off into that kinda stuff.

Eric

JEM555
03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
you can use it if you have a 7 or 6 string
For the six string the tuning is: BAGDAD
for the 7 string its : BAGHDAD
try out and tell me how it sounds:D

EricV
03-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Uhmmm

Does that mean BAGDAD = low to high string ?
And by H you mean B, right ?
Eric

JEM555
03-28-2003, 09:36 PM
of course of course, silly me:D

d7th
04-01-2003, 08:23 PM
I picked up my old guitar yesterday and it was tuned DADACE (from low e to high e).
That's quit funny for improvisation, i got some cool licks.

EricV
04-01-2003, 08:49 PM
How about that tuning the guy from SOundgarden used sometimes: EEBBBB ( low to high ) :)
Eric