PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Drone

ashc
06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Not a lot of explanation required for this one! The basic idea is a backing track which features only a static drone (it's a D in this case - a few voices in the track but they are all D).

This then gives the track an eastern "no harmony" feel and also total freedom to develop melody over that with whatever scales you can come up with. Check out Raga scales on the net - there's lots and lots of them.

My solo is very rough and was Robbie Krieger (the end) inspired!

ashc
06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Ready to go, if OK!

Ash

UKRuss
07-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Okley dokley!

This idea was discussed aaaaaages ago,. so long I'd forgotten about it.

Nice one Ashmeister, let's see where we go with this lil' beaut.:D

ps. I hadn't forgotten about the ii v i...I just can't get anything going over your later progression. That's jazz. and I suck.:rolleyes:

Kinoble
07-01-2006, 06:29 PM
lol asch, awesome idea!

Like your take btw!

May have a go if i get sometime.

Ben :cool:

Thorsten
07-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Ash,

thanks for the very cool backing track! I felt inspired so I came up with this little thing here.

Very egyptian-like feel and playing mostly harmonic minor...

Enjoy
TK

Apple-Joe
07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Listening to the backing track now. Very atmospheric. Interesting drums.

Asch's take playing now. It's very different - and I like it. Refreshing tone. Somewhat experimental playing. Exotic scale. Enjoyable.

Next, Thorsten's take. Intro bells. Exotic sounds here as well. Heavy. Phrygian? Nice sound quality. Extremely professional. Very fluent. I admire the way high speed levels are combined with fluency and precision. And there is variety; not only extreme speed levels. Very, very, nice. You have to listen to it, to understand what I mean.

ashc
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all for kind comments on the track. I was just noodling around and came up with the idea and it was very quick after that..

And then, Wow!..Awesome Thorsten.. you just blew me straight across my practice room! I really wasnt expecting it to go so heavy all of a sudden. Great stuff as always.

Russ: Thanks for getting this nudged through! (and no I couldn't do anything with that ii-V-I extended progression either..)

kamih
07-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Sweet backing Ash :) It really inspired me!
And really cool track Thorsten, I wish I could compose stuff so fast!
Here's my take.
I tuned my guitar to Open D Minor (DADFAD) and added some strings for harmony. I'm no shredder but I'll try to add some lead guitar later (so far all my attempts sucked lol).
By the way I'm open to suggestions on the overall mixing. There's no bass so I boosted the guitar's bass a bit, it feels a bit muddy but I didn't have alot of time to play with it..

ashc
07-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Nice sounds Kamih, very atmospheric I wouldn't say it needs a solo, just fine already.

I have to take a few points off for anyone adding harmony though since the idea was to imrpovise against the drone ;)

Holger Persch
07-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Ash, that's an awesome backing track. I don't wanna start gear discussions here, but I'm curious about the equipment you did use to create it.

BTW, can someone explain the meaning of "drone" to me?

ashc
07-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi Holger, I will send you a gear information PM ;-)

"Drone" means constant bass, or pedal, note in this case. In many eastern forms of music the development is entirely melodic, rather than harmonic, and this constant "droning" pedal note is a feature of that (I'm not an expert on eastern music by the way, so this is a simplified view). So thats why the backing track is just endless D notes.... then the idea is that you can use any of a million scale possibilities. In Indian Raga music I have read that there are very few combinations of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale that are unexplored, never mind microtonality (inbetween notes by our understanding e.g. 1/4 tones and so on) - The temptation is very strong to use harmonic minor over the track, but thats because for most of us thats the only exotic sounding scale we know ;)

If you listen to the beginning of Thorsten's take I believe there are some "microtonal" bends in the clean part.

Holger Persch
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
"Drone" means constant bass, or pedal, note in this case. In many eastern forms of music the development is entirely melodic, rather than harmonic, and this constant "droning" pedal note is a feature of that (I'm not an expert on eastern music by the way, so this is a simplified view). So thats why the backing track is just endless D notes.... then the idea is that you can use any of a million scale possibilities. In Indian Raga music I have read that there are very few combinations of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale that are unexplored, never mind microtonality (inbetween notes by our understanding e.g. 1/4 tones and so on) - The temptation is very strong to use harmonic minor over the track, but thats because for most of us thats the only exotic sounding scale we know.
Thanks, I think I got it now.:)

Holger

UKRuss
07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Lazy *** me. Here's my drone take.

Getting some stereo going, but s'ok...

ashc
07-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Niice. Liked the stereo stuff, nice atmosphere/texture stuff from the left channel. I was heading up that river in search of Colonel Kurtz...

UKRuss
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
heh hehh. Thorsten's takes ok...I think he's been practicing!;)

ashc
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
heh hehh. Thorsten's takes ok...I think he's been practicing!;)

Yeah, fortunately I was sitting down when I heard that... :p

furiousnewf
12-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Ok, here's mine... cool backing track. I went mostly with the harmonic minor scale.

Comments welcome!

Thanks and Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas

ashc
12-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Nice job Mr Furious !

kjellen
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Used two tracks for some "thought-out" harmony parts, and panned them out. One track in the middle for improvisated parts.

furiousnewf
01-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Very cool, whats scales were you using?

kjellen
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, I really wasn't thinking very much about it. :P

The first part was based off a D7b9-chord, so it was kinda like a G harmonic minor with D as root, although I changed a bit between Eb and E. Some parts were diminshed, and some were what I'm used to call "arabian" (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7) which would be like a major phrygian harmonic or something. Some parts are D-aeolian, some D harmonic minor, and quite a lot are freely invented on the spot (both "creative" evolving of the scales and "elaborated mi****s").

furiousnewf
01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
ouch, my brain hurts!!!! Good job!

kjellen
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks, furious! And I just have to add that when listening through all the different takes there's a lot of REALLY nice playing going on. Really mind-expanding to listen to all the different stuff going on here, none of the takes sound alike at all, really, and they're all great! Makes one want to practice.