PDA

View Full Version : Wrist picking.

DracWell
03-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi. Did a search about this topic, didn't find anything about my "problem" really. So here goes.

I've started working up some "real" speed. (I'm working 16th notes from 130-170 bpm right now). My problem is this, when I start doing those movements that's more like spasms (my teachers word) the movement in my wrist is diminished and my elbow takes over. This is bad, really bad, don't like it at all! *lol*

The only thing I've found that would help was when I held my elbow hard so it wouldn't move, then I kinda forced the wrist to move instead, this is really hard to do though. Any ideas on how to do it? I've tried to slow down alot too, but it doesn't really work. Tried that for like a year. :(

It's really annyoing when I'm watching the videos of Marshall Harrison and Rusty Cooley (Boy, is he cool or what? Too much guitar-masturbating though), they really look relaxed in the arm and wrist.

Thanx for any help.
I've really started to fall in love with practicing again.

Oceano
03-20-2003, 06:00 PM
That is what works for me.
The key thing is to relax the picking hand, but at the same time, you can't be thinking about relaxing your picking hand (confusing?)

When you learn to ride a bike, at first you have to concentrate on balance, and really think about it. Once you learn it, and from there afterwards, everytime you ride your bike, you don't have to think about balance, but you are still balancing yourself.

I know that a lot of people tend to think of using a specific picking technique (from the wrist, circular, from the elbow, etc), and stick to it for everything they play. I never thought about that. Actually, a few months ago, I played in front of a mirror for the first time, and discovered that sometimes I circular pick, sometimes I anchor my hand, sometimes I don't, etc, etc.

I know it is easier said than done, but this works for me

NMucci
04-10-2003, 01:19 AM
Hello,
Just try using the picking style that fells most natural to you. What works for someone else may not be the best for you.
:)

seven_strings
04-17-2003, 02:39 AM
This was a very bad habbit of mine for a long time and I didnt even know I wasnt playing correctly until I started to get pain in my elbow all the time. Its a hard habbit to break but do it as soon as possible. What helped me to redevelop my right hand was.... I realized no matter what you do you have to use the elbow somewhat at super high speeds. If you use your elbow as just a little bit of leverage to throw your wrist faster in one direction thats ok... but dont lock it and spasm, to break this habbit you must use a metronome and start very slow for quite some time and always remember to keep focused, youll catch yourself going back to the spasm again.