PDA

View Full Version : guitar on airplane

the next slash
06-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I didn't know where to post this so sorry if it isn't really appropriate here.

I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks and I'm taking an airplane to get there. I want to bring my guitar with me but I don't know how I should do this. Should I just bring it on board with me and hold on to it for the whole trip, or should have it placed in those places where you give it to them before the flight and get it back afterwards. the flight is going to be about 12 hrs long.

I would really appreciate advices cuz ive never taken a guitar onto an airplane.
Thanks!

smallbusrider
06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
If at all possible, bring it on the plane! If you cannot, pack it up in its case and heavily package the case.Do not...i repeat... Do not send it with airline baggage unless absolutely unavoidable. Use a mail carrier such as Fed Ex or UPS, insure it, then mail it to your destination. Believe me the airlines will lose baggage as the norm not an exception.

the next slash
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Ok. Thanks a lot for the help!

Spino
06-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Most airlines will let you take it on board and if you put it in a soft gig bag it will fit in the overhead.Try and check in early and you can be sure there'll be space .If you do check-in late and the overheads are full, right at the front of the plane there are wardrobes for Ist Class passengers where they hang their suit jackets and the guitar will fit in there or alternatively right at the back of the plane behind the last seats on either side there is always space .Talk to the flight attendants, they're always helpful.With acoustics there could be problems if it's a Jumbo,I'm not sure if that would fit in the OH you might have to check it in ,in that case get travel insurance cuz Airlines only pay up to a certain amount which would in no way cover the cost of a , 40's Martin . I once checked in an acoustic in a so called idistructable case after I picked it up in the baggage hall I found the case was after all not so indistructable ,luckily the treasure inside was not damaged and I claimed for a new case and the Airline paid up after some haggling about a month later, another time an airline managed to lose a Les Paul,a Strat,a, 335 & Lowden Acoustic all at the same time . I got all the guitars back about a week later and put in a claim for lost wages,cuz I had booked into a studio ,again lots of wrangling but after a couple of letters ,threatening bad publicity,the papers etc they paid out a tidy sum ,I was glad to get my guitars back tho the wait was very frustrating . So like the man said DON'T CHECK IT IN.
:cool:

SkinnyDevil
06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Let's see if this works:

http://www.local1000.com/carryon.php

For anyone with questions about the ability of professional musicians to carry-on instruments on our nations airlines, please go to this link.
The AFM has negotiated with the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) the right for musicians to carry on their instruments on airline flights. Please download and print the document and be prepared to show this to security personnel should there be a problem.

silent-storm
06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
the link didn't work.

if it is the same letter I'm thinking of, I have it saved on my computer at home and will post it later tonight.

I've been told that the only airline that consistantly poses problems to musicians is Delta. If you can get it in a soft case that you can put on your back no one will put up a fuss and like someone said previously, the flight attendants are usually quite helpful.

silent-storm
06-21-2006, 04:37 AM
if you can get a decent print job, take this letter with you to the airport:

www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_images/TSALetter.pdf

here's some more useful info:

www.win.net/~mainstring/carryon.html