PDA

View Full Version : Singing in minor modes

brent
05-25-2006, 02:10 AM
What songs are good to Practice singing in minor modes?

I'm looking for songs Pop/rock anything that has minor scales for the vocal melody harmonic/melodic minor

What broadway or other music styles use minor scales or minor melodys for vocal lines so i can help singers and vocalist to practice singing minor vocal lines and minor modes chord changes please?

forgottenking2
05-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Try the phantom of the Opera. Sing the phantom part. That will keep you busy for a few years.

Zatz
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Sven, will you dare try what Jorge has proposed? :D

Zatz
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
brent, getting back to the topic...

Based on my own experience as I sing along with my playing, I must say that the straightforward approach works best here - sing up and down the minor scale and check the vocals with an instrument.

The easier scale to sing is usually a major scale in descending order. So if you (or anyone who you want to teach) take C major scale and sing the higher C & B inwardly and then starting from A on down to lower A you'll get your A natural minor sung through.

The next step is to sing it in ascending order. Don't start this exercise from the scratch. Combine it with the previous one - when descending from the upper root of the scale get back to the upper note for a momemnt and then go on singing down, then as you get more familiar with the minor sound try to go up two steps up from any point where you stopped and so on. Alternate between the directions and you (or your respective karaoke singer) will get the minor scale nailed down soon.

brent
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks for the help

But im trying to find and buy some karaoke music pop/rock or something that has alot of minor harmonic/melodic minor vocal lines so i can pratice please?

Zatz
05-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Well, I think any karaoke collection will statistically have more minor than major vocal lines on it.