PDA

View Full Version : "HUMMINGBIRD" Tell me what you think.

MetalMessiah
03-15-2003, 08:52 AM
I wrote it today. I call it "Hummingbird". Tell me what you think. I will add more melodic stuff later if I feel like it, but I think it's pretty good for just a day's work. I skipped out on my homework for this, :P.

http://www.metalmessiah.com/sound/song.mp3

szulc
03-15-2003, 12:58 PM
I listened to this today.
I am offering some constructive criticism.
The begining part where the sequence starts is interesting. What software and hardware (MIDI) did you use for this?
What hardware did you use to record the guitar?
If this is not the neck pickup your distortion is set a bit high.
The guitar tone is over processed (Chorus) this makes it difficult to tell if/when you are playing in tune.
It is a fine art to not overdo the processing.
The guitar is a little too loud in the mix.
The progession i VII VI VII is pretty common and should be a good starting point fo a solo.
I am not sure which one but your D or A string was a bit sharp, or you were pulling on the notes a bit on that string.

Your timing your bending, vibratto and phrasing need work.
I suggest you practice slow bends (to pitch, in half, whole and step and a half increments) with a metronome, later when you can do this right, speed them up until they become vibratto. This will improve your bending to pitch. You are overshooting the pitch you really wanted in several spots with your bends.
Concentrate on getting your vibratto wider and a little more loose. In general you should practice with a metronome to get your lines cleanly on time. I assume you improvised this, so I suggest you (improvise) play over this progression with the drums replaced by the metronome click, concentrate on playing in perfect time. Because you are stopping to think about what to play next, your conviction level seems low in several spots, the metromome practice will improve this.

Sing some lines over this progression and listen to the phrasing, notice where you are breathing. Record yourself doing this several times until you have something you like. Then learn to play this on the guitar. Some phrasing ideas: Try some arpeggios based on the chord change with some pedal tones or spins from each chord. I like the part where you are trying some pedal tones, but it needs to be further developed.

MetalMessiah
03-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.

szulc
03-15-2003, 07:12 PM
How about answering the questions about hardware and software?

MetalMessiah
03-16-2003, 08:32 AM
What software and hardware (MIDI) did you use for this?

I used guitar pro. I wrote everything in my head and then entered it into guitar pro 4.0.

What hardware did you use to record the guitar?

I used the guitar port and acid 4.0. Actually, I really like the deep chorus effect. I probably wont use it for the final product of this song, but for now it's interesting.

szulc
03-16-2003, 01:49 PM
So the MIDI instruments are samples from Acid 4.0 or from some sound card or from software emulation? Sound fonts?

MetalMessiah
03-16-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't know, I just wrote the music in Guitar Pro, a guitar program that is usually used for tabbing out other people's songs. The sounds are not samples (if that is waht you mean) I wrote the music myself.

I don't know if I am understanding your last post because I am not too knowledgeable about this midi stuff. I just write the music.

szulc
03-16-2003, 06:56 PM
What kind of Soundcard does your computer have?
The reason I am asking is the Bass sounds pretty good for a picked bass sound. I am actually curious how you got the percussive bass sound that sounds like mute picking.
What software did you actually play the background part with? Guitar Pro? Did you sequence the drum part or use one from Acid?

MetalMessiah
03-17-2003, 07:24 AM
I wrote everything, even the drums. I have a soundblaster 32 or something like that. I wrote it in, as I said before, Guitar Pro and then imported it into Acid, where I recorded my guitar track over the drums. Then I rendered it as an MP3.

Bizarro
03-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Hey, I really liked this song. It sounds a bit unfinished in some parts but that makes sense because you just wrote it!

I did hear some bends that were a little flat, as James mentioned. I don't know if it's because of the effects processing or ??, but overall this tune has some great potential.

Thanks for sharing!;)

MetalMessiah
03-22-2003, 01:39 AM
thanks, I appreciate that. I will post the final version when I am done with it in a little bit.