PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck! Pre-chorus confusion...

faintron
04-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi, I'm trying to write a pre-chorus section of a song for bass and I'm new to this.

The verse is following a "i, I, II, IV" progression, specifically the notes Am, C, D, F. But I don't know how to continue.

Based on that, what is a good way to figure out where to go from there? It should be building right? But from the IV chord, how do I figure out the best next step?

scruffles
04-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Hi, I'm trying to write a pre-chorus section of a song for bass and I'm new to this.

The verse is following a "i, I, II, IV" progression, specifically the notes Am, C, D, F. But I don't know how to continue.

Based on that, what is a good way to figure out where to go from there? It should be building right? But from the IV chord, how do I figure out the best next step?

What you've got is actually a i-III-IV-VI, and as far as the prechorus goes, you want to add tension (dissonance). Something as simple as a V-VII (E-G) could do.

Padawan
04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
e- G ist good, you could also play something like G - F - e - G7

sixstrings121
04-15-2006, 07:18 AM
From Am-Cmaj-Dmaj-Fmaj, i would make the prechorus Gmaj-Fmaj-E7, like Gmaj for 1 bar, Fmaj for one bar, and E7 for 2 bars. The E7 leads back to the Am (V7-i).

UKRuss
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure the progression is diatonic if it includes the Dmajor. In Am/C it should be Dmin...

scruffles
04-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure the progression is diatonic if it includes the Dmajor. In Am/C it should be Dmin...

Meh, progression works. . . it's the House of the Rising Sun progression.

UKRuss
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
That's fine, but doesn't tally with the progression you were suggesting or in fact the OPs understanding of his progression.

sixstrings121
04-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I see Dmaj as the V of V, which is commonly used, or you can also view it as coming from A melodic minor scale.

faintron
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, good advice.:D