PDA

View Full Version : A new direction.

Lowthorpe
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
I've recently made the decision to quit my band. We we're doing quite well around North England so far, but things started to become more like work with little enjoyment, and although I understand work is needed to make it big, that's the thing; I'm not looking to make it big, and I'm not prepared to put the work in when I have no driving passion or desire to reach that particular goal. I just enjoy playing and sharing music for what it is. :cool:

Anyway, getting on point, that now means I able to concentrate 100% on what I want to do, and work fully on my own goals. Something I would definately enjoy doing, is teaching. I have always enjoyed helping and teaching people things that I enjoy doing myself, it's rewarding to see help people who share a genuine interest in something, and certaintly something I would consider as a career (or, a 'secondary' career if you will ontop of my existing job). I think I'd be good at it. ;)

I've searched the forum some, searched around the internet, and asked a few music people who are in-the-know, but I'm just wondering, for all you music teachers out there, how did you become a music teacher? I will shortly begin studying and taking my grades so as to gain some form of qualification/backing behind me, and I am looking at some local music courses (however I hear they are quite poor in my area) at the college/univesities around me. Although technically you wouldn't need those qualifications as an independant teacher, they are something I wish to work towards. Would you agree that those qualifications are a must, especially when working towards being able to teach 'properly', (for lack of a better word)?

Another problem I see, there doesn't appear to be a set line between those who teach the odd few students for a little on-the-side money and those that teach regular students and such. Must a tutor who cares to take it seriously register themselves in someway, or get a license? (I am from England by the way, incase anyone posts any US-only points. :))

Without turning this into a debate on business and busniess ethics, I feel there is not really a set line between those who teach the occasional student for some on-the-side cash, and those who teach formally. At what point would teaching be considered 'serious' enough to have to worry about things such as tax, or whatnot? (If this question is not welcome here, or too vague, no worries, it's something I'm looking into anyway just for ease of mind).

I've sort of rambled on a bit, so much so in fact, that I may have lost the point of the post completely so I'm going to read back over it when I get home and may have to edit some things. :D

Thanks a lot,
Nick

Spino
04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
You could check out the Guitar Teachers Association ,the have graded exams for Teaching guitar.I went to one of their Seminars a couple of years ago in London and was quite impressed they seem to be pretty well organised . Sorry I can't provide you with an address .G'luck

UKRuss
04-04-2006, 01:45 PM
If you wish to teach in schools, you will need to undergo a police background check, but the school will do that for you before they employ you.

At least they should do. Unfortunately, too often still, teachers are employed and start working in the schools before the school has the results of the check back from the police.

I've toyed with the idea of teaching a a few evening students too recently...I think, like you, I would simply enjoy it!

mattblack850
04-04-2006, 01:51 PM
This is what you want!!;) :D

http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk/

Lowthorpe
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
This is what you want!!;) :D

http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk/

That link is a godsend. Thanks a lot. :D

I'm not looking to teach in schools, but rather, teach in my spare time. In my school music was a compulsary part of the syllabus for the first three years of school, and focused on many instruments. Add the fact that because it was compulsary, there are those who just don't like performing music, or the little ****'s who just mess about. I don't want all that hassle. :D Of course, things would be different at college/university level, but again, that's more of a full career. :cool:

Thanks for the posts.

Nick