PDA

View Full Version : Free online (and very controversial) piano method

Buebo
03-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi all.
I stumbled upon this method book for piano, entirely free and downloadable. It has strong views concerning practicing technique, memorization and some other topics. It's pretty extensive and there are some really neat theories in there. Especially on things like technique (scales, arpeggios, trills) and why excersize books like Hanon are not only wasting you're time but can even be counterproductive. I don't know if all this is 100% true (but then again what is?) but the views are a nice read in any case!!
http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

I recommand to first read the preface so you know where this all is coming from.

Greets, Buebo.

silent-storm
03-31-2006, 04:30 AM
don't have time to read it at the moment, maybe in a week when I'm out of school...but it looks very interesting. I'm sure something that exhaustive would have some good insights, although calling the Hanon counterproductive is a bold statement and is going to have be backed up by some pretty good info inorder to really convince anyone.

silent-storm
03-31-2006, 04:37 AM
upon a little further review, more to come later, I am begining to think that it's seemingly incredible detail may be it's biggest downfall. What I mean is, you can talk and read about practicing all day long, but it really isn't going to get you anywhere. Sooner or later you are going to have to sit down and start figuring out things for yourself. I am not a big fan of books that lay every little detail out for you because I find as though they are trying to convincing you that if you come up with something yourself, it's probably wrong. The book even states this when it says that there are a million ways to do things wrong and only one correct way. Which is most certainly not the case.

EricV
03-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Right... at some point it should be up to the student to figure out stuff by himself. Developing that ability will be a quite helpful thing for the future.
Just my opinion though
Eric

Buebo
03-31-2006, 02:48 PM
My piano experience is quite limited (only started in january and only played 2 'real' classical pieces so far) so I don't know what to make of most of it. But I can imagine the thoughts behind hands seperate practise, to push both hands to their limits, which has the advantages that you can really push it for both hands, and that you can alternate between them to get the most efficient practise. Hanon being hands together excercises doesn't have these advantages. It is an interesting read, and I enjoy the thoroughness (sp? is that even a word?) of it and the scientific approach.

Spino
04-03-2006, 11:15 AM
"thoroughness " is a word and well placed in this case :)