PDA

View Full Version : Country Guitar...

CaptainCarma
03-07-2003, 06:34 PM
hi all out there.

IŽm looking forward to dig into country music.
though country music doesnŽt really got a lot of reputation over here in germany, I donŽt know what artists ( and songs ) are worth listening to.
is there any online resource for country guitar?

+ could anyone of you offer me a few inside views of playing country guitar ( general advise, licks, comping, detailed equipment...)?

thanks in advance,

CaptainCarma

Erikstotle
03-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Check out Vince Gill, Allan Jackson, Steve Morse does some bluegrass like tunes.

CaptainCarma
03-09-2003, 07:12 PM
thanks. IŽll check Žem out...

Wolfgang
03-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Also check out Albert Lee!!!! He's the proof of what you can do with country guitar: he's the shredder of country!!! =)

Chim_Chim
03-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Hey here is a great site for country licks:

Martin Tallstrom (http://tallstrom.com/)

This guy is Swedish and plays country!

You want to check out the "licks archive".There are quite a few little country runs and cascades etc.

CaptainCarma
03-11-2003, 02:13 PM
thanks for the link, seems to be what I was searching for.

PeaceDawg
03-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Check out Brent Mason, Albert Lee, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Steve Trovato.....

sliptallica
03-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Check out Garth Brooks, He has a bunch of songs, but two good ones are Friends in Low Places and Shameless. I also like Alan Jackson, but there's a bunch, I mainly listen to the harder rock stuff but some country is good.

sliptallica
03-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey CaptainCarma, do you know of any good Hard Rock bands in Germany? I know of Rammstein, but any others off hand? I have two friends in Germany and they couldn't think of any, but they both listened to pop stuff.

EricV
03-19-2003, 08:51 PM
IŽm not CaptainCarma, but if you are looking for some recommendations for German metal:

Rage- a band with killer guitarist Victor Smolski... cool stuff
Running Wild- classic metal-style stuff
Farmer Boys- More "nu-metal-style", lotsa cool, heavy riffs
GB Arts - ProgRock
Axxis- HavenŽt heard them in a long time, but I really liked their "The Big Thrill"-album...
Grave Digger

Just tossing around some names, sunno what style you like. YouŽll sure be able to use the net to find some MP3s of those bands, to check them out...
Eric

CaptainCarma
03-20-2003, 12:54 PM
as already mentioned by ericV ( and some more ):

Rage - excellent guitarstuff by victor smolski, and a fantastic drummer Mike Terrana

Mind Odyssey - former "smolski" band

Farmer Boys - check out their song "here comes the pain", I do really love this song, unbelievable chorus ( another goosebump song ).

Helloween

Accept

Thunderhead

Guano apes

- though IŽm not a real metal / heavy rock fan, these are all I, more or less know. but there are definitely a lot more...

PeaceDawg
03-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Capt Carma...if you really want to check out country you should listen to anything by The Hellecasters. These guys have mindblowing technique and a real fresh approach to the whole country thing. I believe the 3 guys that play the leads (John Jorgensen, Jerry Donahue and Will Ray) are all top notch studio musicians. Songs like Orange Blosson Special and The Claw will make your jaw drop.

Chim_Chim
03-24-2003, 04:46 AM
Hey on that link I gave above there's some transcriptions,
one of them is for the Hellecasters. ;)

CaptainCarma
03-24-2003, 08:32 AM
...already recognised...

thanks to all of you...