PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some Dream Theater for picking technique

curiousgeorge
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi guys,

I'm kind of bored with the exercises in Rock Discipline and was thinking it would probably be better to learn a John Petrucci or Dream Theater tune...(and way more fun!)...I'm not really familiar with a lot of Dream Theater's stuff, but I do own Awake and the Budokan DVD. I really want to work on my alternate picking, so can any of you recommend me some good DT or JP tunes for developing that technique? Preferably in standard tuning, since I don't want the hassle of drop tuning (Floyd Rose). Thanks.

EricV
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, letīs see...
"Erotomania" - The riffs plus the faster string skipping part at the end
For picking, most solos on "Train Of Thought" will be a nice workout ( i.e. "As I Am", which should be on the Budokan DVD )
"Dance Of Eternity" from SFAM
"Paradigm Shift" and "Universal Mind" from the first Liquid Tension Experiment album...
Hope this helps
Eric

curiousgeorge
03-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Hmmm, letīs see...
"Erotomania" - The riffs plus the faster string skipping part at the end
For picking, most solos on "Train Of Thought" will be a nice workout ( i.e. "As I Am", which should be on the Budokan DVD )
"Dance Of Eternity" from SFAM
"Paradigm Shift" and "Universal Mind" from the first Liquid Tension Experiment album...
Hope this helps
Eric

Thanks, bud! Although aren't most of the tunes on the DVD drop tuned?

EricV
03-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. Well, you could learn it in standard tuning from a TAB, although that would mean you canīt play along to the DVD. Maybe record the audio of the DVD and raise the pitch ?
I think learning it in standard tuning would be a good exercise as well.
Eric

curiousgeorge
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I think I'll try my hand at Glasgow Kiss as well....Like that tune I do...any other artists tunes you can recommend for AP technique? I also want to learn Stressfest by Steve Morse. I have the tabs from a mag for that one. Thanks Eric. Keep on rockin in the free world.

EricV
03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Morse has a lot of songs that you can use to work on your picking. "Stressfest" is a great example. What else comes to mind... hmmm...
Cruise Missile ( from "The Introduction" )
Pompous Circumstances ( from the Dixie Dregs album "Full Circle", check out this link: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/23 )
Tumeni Notes ( from "High Tension Wires" )
Air On A 6 String ( TAB on Steveīs site... )
User Friendly ( yes, the intro is alternate picked )
The Bash ( the tune that got Petrucci into seriously working on his picking )
and many many more

Funny that you mention "Glasgow Kiss", as that one always sounded like a tune that was very much inspired by Morse to me. Since Morse is one of Petrucciīs biggest influences, I am sure it was in some way, a nice tribute.
By the way, Morse first got into pickign seriously was because he wanted to learn some Bach violin sonatas, and those indeed are great etudes for guitarists as well

AP stuff by other artists:
Viking Kong - Racer X
Frenzy or YRO by Racer X ( http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/65 )
Daddy, Brother Lover Little Boy - Mr. Big ( the solo )
Black Star - Yngwie Malmsteen
( ... )
Eric

freefall
03-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Any advice on how I could practice the low string arpeggios on Tumeni Notes? My problem is that I cant use my thumb to fret the lower notes after the four note groupings start. In a dvd that I have, Steve Morse uses his thumb to fret those notes, and there is very little finger movement. I think it would help alot if I could do the same, but right now my hand cant stretch that far. Any tips?

Thanks

Bande
03-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Well, back to JP:

If you want to improve your alternate picking, I would recommend the solo of As I Am (extremely fast solo, be careful!) or the solo of Fatal Tragedy (even faster!!! - sixtuplets on 144 bpm! - that's fecking fast)

Or some very good solos, that are not that fast, but reaaaallly fun to play: Trial of Tears, Under a Glass Moon (my favourite of all), Scarred

Or, heavy riffs: The Glass Prison, This Dying soul, Home, The Mirror, Lie and so many more...

whooa I love JP's style!!!

curiousgeorge
03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Any advice on how I could practice the low string arpeggios on Tumeni Notes? My problem is that I cant use my thumb to fret the lower notes after the four note groupings start. In a dvd that I have, Steve Morse uses his thumb to fret those notes, and there is very little finger movement. I think it would help alot if I could do the same, but right now my hand cant stretch that far. Any tips?

Thanks

Please don't hijack threads...You can post this as a new forum topic in the GT forum.

freefall
03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm really sorry. I'll post that as a new topic tonight

oRg
03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
The ending theme to "This Dying Soul" is a perfect AP excersize. You can hoave lots of fun with that outro part in that song. Like Eric said "As I Am" is a great song and has a very good AP part in the solo. There's also some sweeping in there as well. Instead of drop tuning just play 2 steps lower. YOu could re transcribe the solo if you like so it would be easier to read, instead of constantly lowering everything by 4 frets. Mental Math is for the birds...lol.

curiousgeorge
03-13-2006, 11:47 PM
The ending theme to "This Dying Soul" is a perfect AP excersize. You can hoave lots of fun with that outro part in that song. Like Eric said "As I Am" is a great song and has a very good AP part in the solo. There's also some sweeping in there as well. Instead of drop tuning just play 2 steps lower. YOu could re transcribe the solo if you like so it would be easier to read, instead of constantly lowering everything by 4 frets. Mental Math is for the birds...lol.

I have the tab for As I Am from Guitar World, but sadly, I don't have the 24 frets required for the solo, just 22. Maybe I'll just pick up a slide with lightning quick speed and precision to play those higher notes.... :D

oRg
03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Either that or you can do a bend from hell...lol. I know in As I am he bends on the 24th fret by a step or so. So imagine bending 2 whole steps up on the 22nd fret...lol.

Actually now that I think about it. John Petrucci tunes down to C standard (C F Bb Eb G c). So if you keep your guitar in E standard (E A D G B e) then you should be able to hit the high c note with ease. Of course this would only work for the solo, not the whole song. There's lots of open note palm muted parts in there.

paTz0r
03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, back to JP:

If you want to improve your alternate picking, I would recommend the solo of As I Am (extremely fast solo, be careful!) or the solo of Fatal Tragedy (even faster!!! - sixtuplets on 144 bpm! - that's fecking fast)

Or some very good solos, that are not that fast, but reaaaallly fun to play: Trial of Tears, Under a Glass Moon (my favourite of all), Scarred

Or, heavy riffs: The Glass Prison, This Dying soul, Home, The Mirror, Lie and so many more...

whooa I love JP's style!!!

I'm learning the under a glass moon solo right now, Its a really fun one!

Erotomania is a great song to learn for picking. If you can get that string skipping part at the end of the big solo, you will greatly improve your picking.

Bande
03-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Petrucci's guitar in the song As I Am is a seven string one, which is tuned to C (to be more accurate: Not his E string is tuned 2 whole steps down, but his low B string (the seventh string) is tuned up one half step). So actually, on the album, he doesn't ever touch the 24th fret, becuase of the 7 strings, he can play over it. But on e.g the Budokan DVD he plays that song on a 6 string model, which is tuned to C (2 whole steps down), so then he has to reach the 24th fret. (Becuase the whole guitar is tuned down 2 steps below normal, he has to play everything 4 frets higher - so he needs the 24th one)

I play this solo as he plays it on the album - my guitar is a 6 string guitar, I don't tune to C, so I don't need the 24th fret, so I can play the whole solo over the CD with the highest fret being 20. The problem is I can't play the rhythm part to the CD, because I would need either a 7 string axe, or tune to C.

EricV
03-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Petrucci's guitar in the song As I Am is a seven string one, which is tuned to C (to be more accurate: Not his E string is tuned 2 whole steps down, but his low B string (the seventh string) is tuned up one half step).

Uhmmm... actually he has stated in several interviews that the only song he used a 7 string on for the album is "Stream Of Consciousness", where each string is tuned down one half step. For "Endless Sacrifice" he used a 6string tuned down one whole step, and for "Honor Thy Father", "In The Name Of God" and "As I Am", he indeed used a 6-string tuned down 2 full steps... all strings tuned down.
Eric

curiousgeorge
03-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Uhmmm... actually he has stated in several interviews that the only song he used a 7 string on for the album is "Stream Of Consciousness", where each string is tuned down one half step. For "Endless Sacrifice" he used a 6string tuned down one whole step, and for "Honor Thy Father", "In The Name Of God" and "As I Am", he indeed used a 6-string tuned down 2 full steps... all strings tuned down.
Eric

As you can clearly see on the DVD and in the Guitar World transcription of As I Am.

oRg
03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
He also used a 7-string on This Dying Soul. I think that's about it.

Dream Theater playing "As I Am": http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDK6dsqPNGQ&search=Dream%20Theater