PDA

View Full Version : Wanna jam ?

EricV
03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
OK, I am just tossing around an idea I have been thinking about:

Since many of us these days have harddisk-recording setups, being able to record guitar tracks and make MP3s, one thing we could try one day would be ... working on a song together, some kind of a "non-live virtual jam".
I imagine it like this: As a base, we could ie. use some of the demo-backing tracks of "Talking Hands"... I recently posted a link to an MP3 of the "Canyon Of Spirits"-backing track. I also could provide backing-tracks of other ( uptempo ) songs.
No, a few of you could download this and record a few bars of soloing each, and either add them to the backing track, so each one would add a solo, or you could send your solo to someone who´d be willing to mix the track, add the solo to the backing track.

So, let´s say Bizarro, James, me and 1 or two other guys record like 8 bars of leads... we could put that onto the backing track and... voilá, a virtual jam.

RWe´d have to figure out the logistics, but it might be a lotta fun, and who knows what this will turn into.
Anyway, just an idea
Eric

NMucci
03-05-2003, 04:35 PM
I think it's a cool idea Eric.:)

metaljustice83
03-05-2003, 07:55 PM
I'd like to help too, but my playing is as slow as my internet connection (and the other way around) but, if you can think of anything you'd need help on like hmmmmmm typeing the letter C I'm good at typeing the letter C.....thats about all I can do :) :p :cool:

EricV
03-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Well, as I said, it´s not gonna happen tomorrow or something, so there´s plenty of time left to work both on your playing and the internet connection :)

Eric

Tekker
03-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a great idea, online collaborations are a lot of fun!!

Check out a few of the callaborations (called "Opus Projects") a some of us have worked on over at Marc Seal's Forum (http://www.marcseal.com/forum/)...

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/tekker/opusprojects.html

And if I have the time (I've got a very busy schedule this term) I'd love to take part in it. :)

-tkr

szulc
03-06-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm IN......

Bizarro
03-06-2003, 05:11 AM
It sounds good to me!

My studio is finally coming around now that I bought a mixer. I should be able to get something recorded that doesn't sound too horrible, but that might just be wishful thinking.

I've been using Cakewalk Express and nTrack for recording but I'm not especially proficient with either program.

I'd better search for that backing track post.:D

EricV
03-06-2003, 10:55 AM
There ya go:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=524

Eric

EricV
03-06-2003, 10:59 AM
By the way, the song´s in the key of Emaj.
I´ll try to get a few more backing tracks ready ( some of my songs, some simple jam-tracks I use for practising etc. ), so maybe we can pick one...
Eric

szulc
03-08-2003, 02:50 AM
I'll use C# Minor!

EricV
03-08-2003, 04:54 PM
OK, just to have a choice, I uploaded two more MP3-jam tracks.
The first one is in Am, based on m11-arps, it´s called "Breath Of Life"...

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/breath.mp3

And the second one is in Emaj, called "Eyes 2 Die 4"

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/eyes.mp3

So we have a choice regarding what song to record the solos for.
Hope you´ll like those. I´m about to head out of the door and ( as I posted before ) will be gone for a while.
Warm regards
Eric

Danster
03-08-2003, 09:27 PM
I kinda feel left out. :(

I don't think I am worthy of wiping down the fret boards of some of the experts here, but I wanna play. :D

Can we have a beginners class also? I nominate Bongo Boy to organize it!:D

mattie
03-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Yeah, a beginner's class would be cool! :)

c u

szulc
06-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Has this thread died?
Am I the only one who actually posted a solo to one of these?
I just tossed something out quickly, and planned to refine it but it seems there is no further interest here.

potshot
06-22-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm interested to see what people come up with. I'm not really at a level to participate, even in a beginners' class, I think. But the idea is cool. I've seen people do projects like this before, covers of Dream Theater songs or wotnot. Where was your solo posted? I don't recall seeing it..

szulc
06-22-2003, 04:12 PM
I had to trim this to fit in 1000k.

This was just something quick and dirty I did when this post first came out. I sent it to Eric FTP since it was too big to post.
No mind bending technique like Thorsten and Eric's version, just some melody with decent feel, and some annoying fretting out on my scalloped strat. Recorded using a pandoras box for tone(distortion/Reverb), direct into the sound card. It was just some improv, I could do it better now using this as a model, but it is a moment in time. Hopefully Eric won't mind me posting this(if he does he can wax it since he has god privileges on this site). Since he started this thread I assume this is ok.

Bizarro
06-22-2003, 04:53 PM
I forgot all about this! I bought my wife a new PC, which means I got her old one, so I had to wipe that HD and start fresh which grounded my PC recording for quite some time...

This is sort of horrible in many ways and there are so many mistakes it makes me sick, but sometimes improv is like that. This is about the 3rd take and the guitar level came out decent so I kept it.

If you're wondering about the loud open string noises where my finger slipped off the strings, that was purely intentional!:D I won't even get into the crappy vibrato and bending. But it's Sunday morning and I don't have much time before my daughter wakes up so this will have to do.

Eric, thanks for the cool backing tracks. I'll be gone for awhile on business trips but I think I'll try for something better in the next couple of weeks, maybe even something with a melody!;)

This recording was done with a PC, a digitech RP50, cheap headphones, and a 30-something coffee drinking middle class guy.:cool:

Bizarro
06-22-2003, 04:56 PM
James, I made my file to the same specs as yours (64kbps, mono). Hopefully that's going to be ok.

Thanks for reviving this thread.

szulc
06-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Your guitar seems a little to loud in the mix to me (on my speakers anyway). There was some nice legato stuff in there.
Mine was the first take. I always like the feel of the first take the best.

metaljustice83
06-22-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm gonna try and come up with something before too long. I don't know how I'll post it, But I'll figure it out some how.

szulc
06-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Don't talk about it! Do it!

Bizarro
06-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Yep, the guitar seems louder through speakers than headphones. I did this first thing in the morning so I had to use headphones. I just played it back with speakers and it's loud!

It's tough to get the levels right with my PC and the digitech. It's a noisy device so there is some give and take, and I tried to get it so you could hear the guitar over the hum! Each preset needs fine tuning.

Maybe next time I'll warm up first so it's not so sloppy!

szulc
06-22-2003, 07:29 PM
What software are you using to mix this down?

Bizarro
06-22-2003, 07:54 PM
I use cakewalk express and then export the audio and use soundforge to turn it into an MP3. Cakewalk "mixes" the 3 parts down (backing R&L, solo track) to a stereo wave file.

I just figured out that exporting audio in cakewalk doesn't actually use the mixing settings that I setup!!

I did a few "3dB quieter" operations in cakewalk and it's a bit better. I edited my earlier file and reposted this new version. It's not so "in your face" anymore. It's still sloppy though!

I downloaded Protools FREE but I haven't figured out how to use that yet.

My daughter is napping now so I'm back to headphones...

EricV
06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey guys...

OK, I kinda cut back on this topic, due to time restrictions and everything. James, thanks for bringing it up again !

Bizarro, nice soloing. Let´s see...

How about if we try to add some organisation here...
OK, the backing tracks still are online. So everyone can download them at a decent enough quality to add stuff.
How about this:
We pick ONE of the two or three tracks ( either "Canyon...", "Eyes 2 Die 4" or "Breathe Of Life" ), and everyone who wants to participate downloads the MP3.
THEN, we make up a new thread or use this one to discuss who is gonna play when... let´s say there are... 5 people who wanna play on the track.
So, the first guy can do the first 16, 24 or 32 bars ( or first verse... ), the next one does the next 24 or something like that.

Then, everyone records his solo, and saves it to the harddisk.
Once all of them were recorded, someone ( either one of the participants or someone who feels able to do so ) adds the solotracks to the backing tracks and does some editing if necessary...
DONE ! Does that sound like a plan ?

One more thing I´d like to add: I don´t think that people should go "Hmm, I´m not good at fast playing so I´m not gonna participate".
I think it would be very interesting if someone would just add a slow, melodic solo, the next one plays a rather speedy one, someone else does a blues-lead... some variety to keep it interesting. So don´t hold back ! It´s a fun-thing, an experiment, something to be watched while it grows and develops
Eric

loveguitar
06-23-2003, 12:58 AM
hi Eric,

sorry I've never do any harddisk recording before. Do you mean
we record the solos without the backing track, then after
we collected all the solos, the backing track will be added in?

Or we record the solo with the backing track?

rgds

szulc
06-23-2003, 01:21 AM
I am sure that Eric means to record each part independantly (with out also recording the backing track). You will listen to the backing track while you record you solo than send in only your solo. Then one of us will be delegated to compile the solo track, add the backing track edit and mix it then Eric will need to repost it since it will be larger than the 1 m allowed to upload to this site. In order for you to do this you will need to have the appropriate software on your computer to do this (SONAR etc...).
I believe the submissions will be in MP3 format to conserve HD space. (This is up to Eric.)

szulc
06-23-2003, 01:22 AM
I vote for IBreatheofLife.

metaljustice83
06-23-2003, 01:58 AM
if I can't post it on here, because of my slow internet connection, can I try to burn it to a cd and mail it to some one who can? I would be excited to do this.

EricV
06-23-2003, 10:05 AM
James is completely right... the best way is to record the solo, jamming over the backing track, while only recording the guitar signal.
Then, you mail the solo to whoever is doing the mix.
Once all solos are in, the track will be mixed, and we´ll put it up somewhere for everyone to download.
It would indeed be best if people would send their takes as MP3s... they can even use a rather good quality ( 160, 192 or even 256 kbps, Stereo 44.1 K ), since the actual file shouldn´t be too long.

Eric

CaptainCarma
06-23-2003, 10:16 AM
ok, I wanna take part in this fun-project.

I want to play a part on "eyes to die for".

Marc

szulc
06-24-2003, 10:31 AM
This is going over like a Led Balloon.

The interesting thing here is with all of the Guitar players here there are only two actual submissions so far!

I guess I would expect this thread to be overflowing with mp3 files!

Bizarro
06-26-2003, 05:30 AM
Very true... It's a sinking ship!

I'm somewhat embarassed about my lame post but it is what it is! I'm sure I could have done better and I probably could have done much worse.

Regardless of how "good" it is, it is fun to play and create something which shows a little something about yourself at a particular moment in time.

The Bash
06-27-2003, 05:33 PM
I'm in :)
Just gotta fine the time and make due with the ole Tascam till I get upgraded to...hmm what year is this?
I guess I gotta put the Mp3 on tape, then pop it into the 4 track and do the lead line. Unless somenes gotta better idea. I'm a technological dinosaur at this point :)

BTW Nice playin guys I dig that moment in time thing.

EricV
06-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Maybe the multiple choice wasn´t a good idea. After all, they´re both ballads. What if we simply pick one of the two ( I think "Eyes..." might be easier to play over, but I like "Breath..." better, and let´s forget Canyon for now... )...

here are the links once more...

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/eyes.mp3 ( "Eyes 2 Die 4", key of Emaj )
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/breath.mp3 ( "Breath of Life", key of Am )
If we wanna really get this going, let´s pick ONE of them and go for it...
Eric

szulc
06-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Ok,
How about everyone who would like to contribute to this project (and actually has the means) Votes on these two songs as a basis then we tally the votes to see which one it is going to be!
Lets say you have 1 week from today to do this.
Then we give everyone a week to post a sample clip to verify they can actually participate. Then select a number of specific measures for each person to solo over. Finally have every submit their piece starting at the designated time marker (use timecode if possible!). Then Eric or I can compile this into a mix. This mix is going to be too large to post (Even as an Mp3) here so we will have to figure out how and where to host it.

george_menhorn
06-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Breath sounds pretty cool - kinda like a slowed down version of some Joe Satriani song with those stacked fifths.

EricV
06-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah, it definitely IS Satch-inspired... cuz I am =)
And the song is based on Am11 and Dm11 arps, and Satch uses the m11 quite a bit ( I recently talked about this to Wyll at another thread ).
Eric

loveguitar
07-01-2003, 01:37 PM
I vote for breathe. Actually I thought
Eric is going to repeat the progression
again and again and each will solo for
one cycle.

So I have recorded my part from 0 seconds
all the way to about 1min 28seconds (where
the progression repeats)

But it's about 1.4MB. So not valid to attach.

Is my idea correct?

loveguitar
07-01-2003, 01:53 PM
hi Szulc,

wow! I listen to your mp3 for breathe. Your solo is cool! Matured playing.

Michel
07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
At my age..i am a sinking ship:D
I dont want to see this projet sink so, here is my mp3
Come on you guitar player out there, i'm not a good player and you dont have to be that good to contribute

szulc
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Michel, I like your take on this, unfortunately it was just starting to get interesting when you ran out of time.

Thanks loveguitar, for the kind words.
I am an old guy, so I guess my playing should sound mature!
You need to trim your file down to less than 1 meg to get it in the forum! Just take the part you like best and submit it. We'll let Eric figure out some way (Maybe an FTP site) to get the whole solo in later!

I just try to capure the mood of the moment.

Come on guys keep em comin!

grappa
07-02-2003, 12:14 PM
In the interests of trying to keep balanced input I am happy to have a go with breathe. Lets face it you could probably do with some of my cr*p playing to make everyone elses look so much better!

Michel
07-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Merci James
Sorry about the way it ends i had to split the wave form to fit 1ko
and i'm new to the technologie. I had fun doing it:D

Bye

Michel
07-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Lets face it you could probably do with some of my cr*p playing to make everyone elses look so much better!

Come on you can't do as bad as i did ;)
Join in...and have fun this is not a contest

Bye

loveguitar
07-03-2003, 01:16 AM
hi Eric,

here's my part. The drum recording part a bit noisy, don't know
how to fix that though.

Koala
07-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Heres my demo for Breathe of Life

szulc
07-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Cool!
Anybody else wanna get theirs in before the deadline?

CaptainCarma
07-18-2003, 04:59 PM
ok, the captain´s one...

www.gooskin.com

Mike
07-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Ok... I'll give it a go.. When is the deadline?

Wyll_Watts
07-19-2003, 02:39 AM
to James and the rest of the guys in the jam project..

I've got alot of work comming up so I'm not going to have time to work out a solo and go record it at a friends house and all that. An acoustic solo might not haved jived so well in this context anyways. But I look forward to hearing the rest of you guys, good luck!

Wyll

szulc
07-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Wyl,
Sorry, I would liked to have heard an acoustic take on this!

Mike, You didn't vote on this in the Poll (PICK ONE) thread so you are not eligible. (Sorry)

The following persons voted:
Almagest ChrisJ jdf75 Koala metaljustice83 Michel mikef szulc Wyll_Watts CaptainCarma Cuno

metaljustice83 and Wyll_Watts have declined so far.

Koala
Michel
CaptainCarma
szulc

Have Submitted
Actually so have loveguitar and bizarro but they didn't vote either!

The rest have until Monday Night to get their Demo parts in.

Almagest
ChrisJ
jdf75
mikef
Cuno

You are welcome to post a Demo to this thread, but unless there is extremely weak turn out it wouldn't be fair to include your take.

By the way I, like the delay licks at the beginning of CaptainCarmas take!

Bizarro
07-19-2003, 04:10 PM
My post was for a different song before the poll started.

I didn't see the poll until it was over:( Been busy with work, etc...

I like the entries I've heard so far! Nice work everybody!:D

Cuno
07-19-2003, 11:41 PM
This is to the best of my ability, apparently ;) Whipped up the olde Peavey PRO FEX II, it did the job quite nice i think.

szulc, use whatever part you want!

szulc
07-20-2003, 01:36 AM
I like your entry, nice tone and note choice. Your vibratto reminds me of Alan Holdsworth. Some of the lines remind me of Eric Johnson.

Cuno
07-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks szulc! It does sound a bit like Eric Johnson doesn't it :) I heard him for the first time like a month ago (yes, I've been living under a rock), and his tone and playing blew me away. My slow playing on this one is due to me trying to learn floating wrist and strict AP, so it's probably due to that that my playing slightly resembles Mr Johnson's melodic style.

During the recording I got all sorts of ideas on how to do collaborative composing and improvising and, being a programmer, thought of the kind of software that would be needed. Like a javascript-heavy web-browser client tool for setting up a timer, posting parts, try out the order and number of repetitions of parts, suggestions, etc, and some polling system.

Then anyone who wishes can start a new project, assign it a timer, and start the invitations. Letting the polling and timer guide the final outcome of the song will make it a true democratic process, and will probably benefit the song also.

How about that idea? Is there any similar thing out there already?

Cuno
07-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Sorry, just a bunch of off-thread rambling here.

mikef
07-20-2003, 06:37 PM
The attached jam demo is by jdf75 and uploaded by proxy. File was cut to fit < 1 meg requirement.

Thanks - I like this

szulc
07-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Cool!
Sounds a bit Zakk Wylde like!
I really like the parts that start at 24 and 1:27 and 1:39.
Maybe we can talk you in to tabbing some of this out!

szulc
07-20-2003, 09:07 PM
The dead line is Monday.
When all the submissions are in you will need to work on the actual solo part and get me the file without backing track I'll PM details on how to do this. When we are finished I want everyone who participated to submit information about your gear used for this SW methods etc...
Also it would be nice if after this is finished you could tab some of the more memorable licks out for our readers. I will be on vacation for a week (Away from my gear) and a half so the deadline for the actual submission will be pushed back to August 8.

Bizarro
07-21-2003, 05:29 AM
I'm going to sneak in an entry here... I've been busy lately so James was kind enough to let me slide even though I didn't vote. Thanks!

This is a one take wanker improv solo. I'm sure the finished product will be of similar form: start slow, middle wankering, slow it down again, wanker to the end! That F chord through me for a loop, I wasn't expecting it so it's kinda rough!:eek: And then I had no idea how long it stayed on that bridge part...:p

Disclaimer:
Under no circumstances will I play anything cool like the delay solo posted earlier! :D

CaptainCarma
07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Bizarro
Disclaimer:
Under no circumstances will I play anything cool like the delay solo posted earlier! :D

why not...?

Bizarro
07-22-2003, 05:28 AM
I haven't been able to come up with anything original on that song...

szulc
07-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Kudos to the brave few who bared their souls here.

Koala
Michel
CaptainCarma
szulc
jdf75
bizzaro
Cuno

loveguitar since you didn't vote but you did provide an entry, you can participate also (Bizarro got grandfathered in as well).

The next step is to create the actual solo you want to use (Keep in mind I will be editing them to fit againt the track, since ericV has provided a longer version of this track it shouldn't be too hard).
You need to provide the solo track without the backing track and time marker information so I can properly place them into the song. I am only going to accept 128kbps MP3 MONO file < 5 Meg. If you don't provide time marker info I will take a stab at where to place the track.

You have until August 8th to get your tracks ready to ftp to me.
I want each of you to also provide information on the gear and SW you used to create this. It is possible the iBM community may ask for tabs of some of this. I suggest you prepare yourself to be able to provide this. Send me a PM when you are ready to send me your file.

Break a leg

Cuno
07-22-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't get it... Are we allowed to make entirely new solos and post them? I thought the ones we've alreay sent are the ones to use. Ok, you want the solo in that particular quality and without backing track. I understand that. But since you say that we should create our solos now, I got a bit confused. Clarify for a stupid swede, pleeze :)

szulc
07-22-2003, 08:46 PM
I cannot use what has been posted because it already has the backing track, so I want just the solo track with some info about where to start the track. You can use what you sent without the backing track OR create a new solo that is up to you. Since this site has a 1 M limit on attachments you will not be able to post it here, I will provide an ftp site for you to send you file to, after you PM me and tell me you are ready to post. I want the track to follow the guidelines 128kbs MP3 MONO solo only (no backing track), also I want time stamp info on wher ethe track starts midi time code, or smpte. I don't care what you post and you must realize I will edit what you send to place it in the final mix.

Koala
07-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Just got back from a weeks vacation so ill get to work on it this week.

Michel
08-06-2003, 09:15 PM
I cant make it
I'm leaving it to the active members and i can't leave without saying Merci ...and good luck
Michel

szulc
08-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Sorry you can't make it!

Cuno
08-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Ok, my final clip is in. Better late than never :)
How about you other guys?!

szulc
08-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I am extending the deadline by 1 week since I have only 2 entries so far!

Bizarro
08-09-2003, 03:24 PM
thanks for the extension! work has been crazy (trips around the country, working weekends, 12+ hour days, etc) so I haven't been able to play for awhile. It's starting to calm down again...

Koala
08-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, yeah id been away for bout a week as well, its all been crazy but ive got a solo down, i wish i had time to do somn a little better but well.....im still gonna try.

Bongo Boy
08-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by szulc
By the way I, like the delay licks at the beginning of CaptainCarmas take!Can you explain what that means just a bit?

szulc
08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
He is using a delay to make it sound as though he is playing more notes than he is actually playing. This is a pretty common technique. Listen to this in stereo with headphones.
One channel is the normal guitar the other is delayed 312 ms.
then listen to both channels at the same time.

EricV
08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Reminds me a bit of "A Lighter Shade Of Plaid" by Blues Saraceno... James, if I remember correctly you like Blues´ music just as much as I do, right ? I love the intro and chorus of that tune, and what he does with the delays on that one...
Eric

EricV
08-09-2003, 11:34 PM
...and on his site ( www.bluessaraceno.com ), there´s a short audio-clip of the song I just mentioned.
For everyone who wants to hear some more cool echo-stuff and hasn´t listened to the song yet, check out this audio:

Real Audio:
http://www.bluessaraceno.com/audio/alightershadeofplaid.ram

Wave:
http://www.bluessaraceno.com/audio/plaid_alightershadeofplaid.wav

( the delay comes in at the very end... AFAIK he picks the string while simultaneously fading in the notes with the volume knob... with his pinkie. The delay was some TC Electronics unit with a delay set to 333 ms, one repeat )
Eric

Bongo Boy
08-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks. I live in a bottle, basically. If you didn't help me understand these things as they occur in the real world, I'd never know.

szulc
08-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Here is a ptb of the delay effect I had to set it to some crazy meter to make the delay part come out right.

Bongo Boy
08-10-2003, 02:48 AM
A cool feature for tab software would be if you could simply write the music, as played, in the correct time signature, then select the sections with the mouse, right-click and select "add delay". The result would be the insertion of 'ghost' or color-coded notes, alongside the played ones, that represented the delay tones--with the tab being unaffected. Playback in MIDI would of course reflect the delay notes.

But back down to Earth...how were you able to determine the delay time (312 ms) from an MP3 file?

szulc
08-10-2003, 04:13 AM
I actually recorded this with no delay and then previewed it with delays in sound forge until I found the right one, which happened to be 312 ms.
Previously I was playing with my PX3 and was using 300ms, so I tried to emulate that. THe difference could be human factors or it could be the difference in the unit and the sound forge software.

Bongo Boy
08-10-2003, 06:07 AM
...because my job here at iBreathe is to make you guys pee your pants, I've submitted this atrocity [my next post, below]. No apologies--not even for the rhythmic abortions. No guts, no glory!

Attention Beginners--you've seen these guitar wizards here make excuses for their (in my opinion) wonderful submissions that in my mind are flawless creations of musical splendor. Fear not, for I believe I've set the bar low enough now that anyone should be able to post their attempts without fear of embarassment!

The Bash
08-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Hey I kinna dig that :)
Next time could ya commit the ultimate Jazz Sin and Bend a note :)

Bongo Boy
08-10-2003, 07:34 AM
...okay. I couldn't get a replacement upload to actually replace the existing file. I hope this one is enough of a blasphemy to satisfy.

The Bash
08-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Ahh, much better :)
This is great, I love it.
See it was just the bend that was lacking.
This is most certainly a hit single now.
I knew I should of been a producer.
Just give a call when your ready to lay down the CD.

Cuno
08-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Bongo Boy, you´re just too funny. My tummy hurts! That submission reminded my a little of Cure´s Pornography record. Don´t know why...

And on these tapdelay things, this is something i used to use a lot. Love it! A big thing in the 80's. Andy Summers, Alex Lifeson, Warren Cucurullo, The Edge among others used it extensively.

And here´s my littly delay-ditty(?). 2 points to the first person who know what song it is! :)

Cuno
08-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Ok this is my last off-thread attachement, promise! :D More delay!
Missing Persons - Now Is The Time (for love). Warren Cucurullo. My version doesn´t come out right.... But here it is!

CaptainCarma
08-10-2003, 10:03 AM
hey bongo boy...

james ( and ericV ) explained the technique I used very well.

all that I did was to play a simple straight eight line with a delay, that repeats the original signal a dotted eight later.
furthermore I swelled the notes with my volume poti.

I will attach a ptb that shows what I played.

Thorsten
08-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Cuno
Bongo Boy, you´re just too funny. My tummy hurts! That submission reminded my a little of Cure´s Pornography record. Don´t know why...

And on these tapdelay things, this is something i used to use a lot. Love it! A big thing in the 80's. Andy Summers, Alex Lifeson, Warren Cucurullo, The Edge among others used it extensively.

And here´s my littly delay-ditty(?). 2 points to the first person who know what song it is! :)

Could this be "Lifting Shadows Of A Dream" from Dream Theater?

Great sound BTW!

szulc
08-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I believe it is RUSH but I don't remember the name.

Cuno
08-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Correct, szulc! It´s Xanadu from the Farewell To Kings album. One of my favourite albums.
Dream Theater wasn´t for from it either, they sound a lot like Rush sometimes.

Great sound BTW!Thanks Thorsten! It´s my old Peavey PRO FEX II that´s been collecting dust for a while now, until this thread resurrected it.

Cuno
08-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Despite my never ending off-thread ramblings :), i´d still like to see this through to the end.

How about posting a solo?? Wouldn´t that make you all warm and fuzzy? :) Come on guys, post it already! You probably can´t do worse than me, so just do it.

Very few have submitted solos, so i´m sure szulc could bend a few rules if any newcomer would like to give it a try(szulc?).

In case you don´t feel like reading all the posts, here´s the deal once more:
1. Download the backing track: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/breath.mp3
2. Record your soloing over that backing track.
3. Save the solo as a mp3-file, without the backing track!, just your guitar. Save it as a 128kpbs mono mp3.
4. Send szulc (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=39) a message, he´ll give you the details on how to submit your solo. Be sure to give him the details on where to insert your stuff in the final mix, and what things you used for the recording, guitar, software, and so on.

szulc
08-14-2003, 11:43 AM
This is not going very well!
So far I have only two entries (other than my own).
I really would like to have more!
I have extended the deadline until this weekend but no new submissions have been submitted.

snufeldin
08-14-2003, 04:45 PM
An example of using delay to make it sound like you're playing more notes is my song called "siggy". Check it out at www.mp3.com/nextin and click on siggy.

I recently got a korg kp-2 and for the drums you can add delay and make the beats sound more complex.

Bizarro
08-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Bad news... a virus took out my music recording PC! I'm still gathering tools to diagnose the issue and will start debugging this weekend. Hopefully the IT guys at work will have some super magic disk which will cure everything! ;)

el guitaro
09-01-2003, 08:18 AM
this thread needs to be reminded to all the people on this forum. as soon as i can find out how to make mp3 files smaller cause mine are way to big. but how can i record over the baking track? i use a program called quartz its freeware. i use to record using the sound recording program but when i converted it it sped up to much heres how its sounds but this is to good of an idea to let it go

el guitaro
09-01-2003, 08:27 AM
here it is you cant understand whats going on because its what i said

Bizarro
09-01-2003, 03:33 PM
that's very strange! Have you tried downloading a trial version of Sound Forge and seeing if that works? It's a nice program.

szulc
09-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Maybe it is a Karma issue!

el guitaro/neoshredder

Bizarro
09-01-2003, 09:06 PM
what gave it away?;)

snufeldin
09-01-2003, 09:38 PM
hahahahaha.... too perfect szulc, too perfect

el guitaro
09-02-2003, 12:30 AM
i dont get it

forgottenking2
09-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Karma... what you do comes back to you in one way or another...

szulc
09-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Is any one else actually gonna send in a solo?

Bongo Boy
09-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by el guitaro
i dont get it ...uh, not too much friggin' surprise there.

here it is you cant understand whats going on because its what i said...now THAT I can identify with completely. It's like, heh, if I hadn't said it, then you'd friggin' understand it. But, because I said it, there's no flippin' way. See what I'm sayin' ? It's like, heh, get with the program, or don't; but don't make me talk about it all day long. That's what I'm sayin'. There will be an answer, let it be. That's all I'm talkin' about. I'm thinking maybe James wants to weigh in on this one.

I dunno, I am not a smart guy.

Bizarro
09-09-2003, 05:30 AM
I'd like to send in a real solo but I'm still waiting for some replacement equipment in the mail... My recording setup is down.:(

Don't wait for me though, I don't want to hold up the show. I apologize for letting you guys down.

I won't be able to get anything together until the 2nd weekend from now assuming my equipment gets delivered sometime this week.

I wish I could afford a setup like Thorsten... and I wish I could play like him too!:)

Cuno
09-09-2003, 10:25 AM
This thread is very dead :( Too bad, it was a fun idea IMO.

furiousnewf
09-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Oops, put it in the wrong place! Heres mine also.

Anubis
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
If I'd knew how to play guitar I would record something to.
Give me a few more years and I will contribute to things like this.
I have never even recorded myself into the computer but I have just figured out that I can actually plug my old Boss ME-6 into the soundcard. It sounds horrible though.
I blame it on the effect :)

Cuno
09-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Yo Anubis! You need a speaker simulator between the ME-6 and your soundcard, to emulate the sound of a mic'ed guitar speaker.

Anubis
09-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks Cuno.
That explains it. I thought it was my guitar playing that sucked.
Thank God I can blame it on lack of good equipment ;)

metallibeast
09-10-2003, 02:18 PM
What's up?

Here's my take on the song...btw is the jam thingy still going on...if so I'm interested to participate in it...couldn't do so earlier cuz my sound card wasn't working properly :mad:

-Beast

furiousnewf
09-10-2003, 08:58 PM
He's one for Canyon. Critics welcome. Be honest, I can take it, I know I have lots to work on.

Ragman
09-17-2003, 01:13 AM
i willing to put a few bars down for the beginners jam, if thats possible! my styles strange though =/

flathead
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Hey Eric what did you use to create the backing tracks? thanks

szulc
09-19-2003, 01:58 AM
I have received 3 submissions from the original participants (two from one participant).
So once again for those of you who voted and submitted practice takes how about sending me the files to the ftp site?
The rules were stated clearly in the PM I sent.
I will invite new participants if no one else from the original group submits!

furiousnewf
09-19-2003, 02:09 AM
OK, sign me up, and send me the instructions

EricV
09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by flathead
Hey Eric what did you use to create the backing tracks? thanks

I wrote the song and then programmed it into my trusty Yamaha QY 300 hardware sequencer ( Gee, I´m plugging that one so much, they should pay me ).
Then, I connected the audio output of the sequencer to the soundcard of the computer, and simply recorded it.
The sounds are generated by the internal synth module of the sequencer... those sounds are very good IMHO. ( Not WaveStation or Trinity quality, but pretty good ), and the reverb on the drums is courtesy of the QY as well.
Eric