PDA

View Full Version : do musicians have a bad day?

schummy13
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
i think musicians are just like a driver,an athlete,they can have bad days,those days that,they can't create anything,they make mistakes,their amps and pedals dont work properly,but also there are days you have the best ideas for songs,and you play better than the other days.I have had some ideas that i could not think about me having created what i have done,that's why i believe in bad days and in good days.Just like Eric Johnson said about Cliff's of Dover""That main melody was created in 30 secs of inspiration,sometimes i work 6 months to create a good riff"
What do you guys think?

Koala
02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Ohhh buddy, I've had bad days, and awesome days. It's impossible for me to pinpoint the cause for a bad day, sometimes it can just happen even when everything else in life is cool. But yeah, I agree with ya

gersdal
02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I definitely had both surprisingly good days and terrible bad days. I never work much with music on my own on my bad days. If I've got a gig on a day like that, I really play safe. On the good days I get the feeling that everything is easy... wonderful :)

metaljustice83
02-09-2006, 02:16 AM
sometimes I find that my bad days in life turn out to be great days on guitar, and the other way around. Weird how that works out.

forgottenking2
02-09-2006, 03:10 AM
The trick is to practice so our bad days are not as bad anymore and our better days are even BETTER(er??)

silent-storm
02-09-2006, 05:35 AM
I have bad days all the time.

Some times things just decide that they aren't going to work all at once.

The key is just to work through it so even on your worst days things can still happen.

phil992
02-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Sometimes i have days when my playing isnt actually any worse and im playng up to normal speed but everything just feels wrong (and sounds bad). I hate those the most.

CaptainCaveman
02-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I tend to have some really bad days, where my guitar just feels like cold steel, but I have found out that if I just relax and sit and play something simple, like three chords for some time, my mind will start longing for more and I will start playing much better, and enjoy myself more.

When I was a beginner, I would often have bad days, and I let them bring me down, and as a result, didn't get as much practice. Now I have grown so addicted to playing, that it is torture for me if I don't play for, like, a whole day.

Really, I am a very miserable person. Therefore, playing music is usually an enormous relief for me.

aprzekaz
03-02-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm a drummer and I get bad days all the time. Some days It feels like I've picked up the stix for the first time and have no coordination or speed or anything. Then other times I'll feel like I'm on fire or I can't miss. It is so frusterating to have bad days. Lately I've been having bad days all the time dispite regular practice.

tadejsusta
03-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Man, I know this one. It is the same with me, especially lately, it's driving me mad, but i still keep on practicing anh hoping it will pass me soon. I just hope it's not any deeper thing that causes ''bad days''.

btangel
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm sure even pros have bad days. But the more you play and practice, the more consistent you will be. Just gotta keep playing.

phantom
03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Sure as hell they have.
.. to make it worse - i rarely have satistfying days (playingwise).
The more you know, the more stuff you discover that you can't play or don't understand completely.
I guess we have to live with that fact.. :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

So I keep running, falling ‘til I reach the water..

thesander
05-13-2006, 02:38 PM
i have learned. that if you practise on your bad days to. you will have less of them. thought it sucks. ;)

hairballxavier
05-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Everyone has bad days. Relatively and naturally.

Some guitarists have even been known to smash their misbehaving tube amps with their axe and leave right in the middle of a show.

Just because they were having a bad day.

Then comes the riot.

Hubert
05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
But the crux of the matter is: does the audience notice you're having a bad day? In itself the feeling is not necessarily an indication of musical calamity . . . :cool:

joeyd929
05-27-2006, 12:48 PM
It is quite normal to get a bad day but many times it is "in our heads" and nobody really notices when they hear us. Speaking for myself, there have been times on gigs where I feel that I am struggling to get the notes out, or the vibe is just not there, at least in my mind.

AFter the gig people say "you sounded good". I think it is like those skaters that are supposed to do the triple spins and on a bad day they may play it safe.

When you have a bad day you may tend to play it safe and that can be the most frustrating aspect because the rush of music is the ability to go for it without any restrictions.

A good musician always knows his limitations, and should be careful but don't be afraid to get out there.

If I have a bad day or week I just focus on learning other areas of study.