PDA

View Full Version : Another shameless plug / EVB Website

EricV
03-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Well, itīs time for some shameless plug again... :)

Since we didnīt have any updates at the Vandenberg Band-website ( http://www.ericvandenberg.com ) I went through some demos and stuff that I still had saved on hard-disk, and we added two new soundfiles:

Two MP3s of solos from a demo-version of "Rainy Night" ( track from the upcoming "Talking Hands" album ).
When I recorded those ( itīs the very first one I did, and an alternate version ) I just wanted to record a guide-track for Andy to record his drums, but I figured Iīd share those recordings with ya.
There are some "sonic dings" left, cuz it was rather a spontaneous session, but I like that rather raw sound.
Also, those two solos show how much Greg Howe influenced me
( or how much I rip him off ), although I donīt think I came very close to what he is capable of...
So check it out, if ya like...

Eric

szulc
03-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Eric,

I like the lick that starts at 1:06 and goes to 1:11
on the first rainy night version.

On the alternate take I like the following parts 0:09-0:13 nice arpeggios 1:06-1:17 similar to the first one at the same place 1:34-1:39 cool arpeggio or pedal like licks.
Most of this stuff sounds like RH tapping to me. Is there any chance of getting these parts in tab?

Bizarro
03-03-2003, 05:11 AM
I really like the "cascade of notes" effects too. That's how I interpret those parts, anyways.

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism...
There's some 16th note triplets in the "Vinnie Moore Pepsi lick" style that sound a bit out of place to me...

I can't wait to hear the finished product. There are some really nice melodies in there.

Rock_Rocket
03-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Eric,

thanks for your MP3s. It was really fun to listen to them and I'm definitely looking forward to get my hands on the album once it's finished and so is probably a bunch of members here at Ibreathe.
I also read your comments on your "songs" (...without words). It was interesting to see how you digested personal experiences in your music. Wouldn't you agree that in most of the actually popular music there's an utter lack of true emotions? In my opinion it's absolutely necessary to have a certain "relationship" to the music you're playing, if you want to play "good" (whatever that means) music. To me, most of the "pop-stars" these days are just selling a product like other people are selling cars or books. Maybe I'm wrong... I'm glad there are still some true artists around and you are definitely one of them.

Keep going. Regards!

Rock_Rocket

PS: Keep that demos coming!!!

EricV
03-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by szulc
Eric,

I like the lick that starts at 1:06 and goes to 1:11
on the first rainy night version.

On the alternate take I like the following parts 0:09-0:13 nice arpeggios 1:06-1:17 similar to the first one at the same place 1:34-1:39 cool arpeggio or pedal like licks.
Most of this stuff sounds like RH tapping to me. Is there any chance of getting these parts in tab?

Sure...
Yeah, there is a LOT of rh-tapping in there, and I also managed to sneak in the "descending-scale-Greg-Howe-pattern" in there a few times.

OK, here is what I played in version 1, 1:06-1:11...

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/rnlick1.jpg

Alternate version, 0:09-0:013, right from my stretch pentatonic-articles...

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/rnlick2.jpg

And, alternate version, 1:06 - 1:...., the tapping patterns. Just like in that first lick from the first version, I am using the r.h.- middle and index finger to tap...

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/rnlick3.jpg

And I also attached the Powertab-file to this post.
It would take quite some time to make a ptb of both solos, so I included only the licks you pointed out...

Warm regards
Eric

EricV
03-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bizarro
I really like the "cascade of notes" effects too. That's how I interpret those parts, anyways.

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism...
There's some 16th note triplets in the "Vinnie Moore Pepsi lick" style that sound a bit out of place to me...

I can't wait to hear the finished product. There are some really nice melodies in there.

Thanks a lot.

Regarding the out of place-licks... well, I am sure that is a result of the way we conduct those demo-recordings.
I usually try to nail the leads for the demos as quickly as possible. I try to throw in several ideas, and sometimes there seems to be a "lack of linearity". Before we get to the actual recordings, I listen back to those improvised leads ( I do more than 2 versions for each song, anyway ) and work out one from those bits and pieces I like.
Thats why I added the comments regarding "sonic dings"... since I am trying to squeeze a lot of stuff in there, there are a few little mistakes, and some notes or licks might not be in time... a bit off.
But I dig that certain "raw sound" of those spontaneous leads, and sometimes itīs tough to get the same kinda sound when you sit there and try to record the final version...

Thanks

Eric

EricV
03-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Rock_Rocket

thanks for your MP3s. It was really fun to listen to them and I'm definitely looking forward to get my hands on the album once it's finished and so is probably a bunch of members here at Ibreathe.

:) Thanks. So am I. Really, I hate the fact that the progress is so slow and that the release gets postponed constantly. The thing was supposed to be done in mid 2002 already.
But there are a lot of other projects going on, and the other guys from the EVB are involved in all kindsa other projects too.
And I donīt wanna rush it. But weīre almost done, and Iīm quite happy with the way the tracks have grown...

I also read your comments on your "songs" (...without words). It was interesting to see how you digested personal experiences in your music. Wouldn't you agree that in most of the actually popular music there's an utter lack of true emotions? In my opinion it's absolutely necessary to have a certain "relationship" to the music you're playing, if you want to play "good" (whatever that means) music.

Well yeah, but you gotta remember that in most cases ( in pop-music ), the artists often donīt write their songs themselves. We discussed this in "Music Metaphysics 101" I believe.
The big record company tries to create a "product", something thatīll sell and is gonna be "hip".
So they cast a singer or band. They get them vocal - and dance lessons. They create an image for the band / artists.
Big record companies either have songwriting-offices, or they have a list of songwriters that they buy songs from. And those the artists sing.
Itīs hard to develop some relationship to a song that way.
Sometimes, thereīs a pressure to write a few extra songs for an album, and so you are kinda rushing and canīt really put that much "heart" into it either.
So thereīs a big industry involved there.

I have carried many of these songs around with me for years. They have grown with time. Most of these songs are based on actual experiences, of things I went through, people I met, places I visited.
And there was a huge amount of time to have these songs grow.
I donīt know what would happen if Iīd finish this album, and some company would walk up to me and say "OK, hereīs a contract, we want you to prepare and release another one with new songs till August 2004" or something.
I donīt know if thatīd be enough time to gather material for a new album. So maybe, there wouldnīt be that much "relationship" to those new ones, either.
"TAlking Hands" is a "sum-up" of writing instrumental stuff throughout the last 10 years or so. And thatīs why thereīs so much personal stuff involved in those songs.
I wasnīt even sure whether I wanted to record "Canyon Of Spirits" and release it. As I mentioned, this one is dedicated to my late grandfather, who meant a lot to me and still is missed very much. Recording it was tough. This might sound quite sappy, but when I listened to the finished version, I was really close to tears. Same happened when we played it live the first time.
But people who have heard it like it a lot, and I got some really nice feedback from people who have heard it on the "Guitar Shop" radio-show, and so, I consider it a tribute to my grandfather, and it will be on the album...

Thanks a lot, I am glad you like the songs / demos and the stories involved ( the booklet will be delivered separately, since itīs about 800 pages long... j/k !! ) :)
Eric

seven_strings
04-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Cool eric I really like the backing sounds of the tunes.... I also dig melodic stuff alot seeing as how my favorite two players are Vinnie moore and eric Johnson. I dig alot of the tunes , yet alot of the riffs used in the tunes, like the back tracking runs that you repeat, get just a little repetative for my taste. But you have some great ideas there keep it up. Nice tone too :)

EricV
04-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks a lot, glad you like em :)
Eric

The Bash
04-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey Eric, Very Nice
I'm listening to Canyon Spirts Right Now I really Dig that one.
I see you Mention Beck People Get Ready a lot and I myself hear
a lot of that song (phrasing and attitude wise) in Canyon Spirts.
I mean that in a postive influnce way not a Hey you Ripped of Beck kinna way. That first little phrase at :18 to:20 is very Beck like to my ears which I can't think of a biiger compliment than that so I'll shut up now :)

EricV
04-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi there,
and thanks, that sure is a big compliment and it means a lot.
Jeffīs music ( especially stuff like his solos on "People..." ) definitely influenced me.
Now, when it comes to ripping him off... :)
Remember the Studio Log I wrote about that "People Get Ready" cover version. Now, Malendeīs album hasnīt been released yet, but I recently found an MP3 from the early production phase, and I figured I could share this.
Thereīs a drum-computer on there, which will be replaced with real drums. And there are no vocals on that version yet, but I am happy with the way th guitar-stuff turned out ( we kept those tracks, theyīll be on the album-version ).
YOu can download the full MP3 of that early version ( approx. 4.5 MB ) here:
http://www.ericvandenberg.com/ibreathe/people.mp3

My tribute to JB... hope youīll like it
Eric

The Bash
04-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool :)
And I can karokee along.
Not that my dogs think that's such a cool thing :)
NP-Kings X- Best of

EricV
01-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Just in case youīre wondering, I put those two demo-solos back onto the site... click on "Misc", then go to the "Thoughts" section, scroll down, itīs the newest thought "Demo solos"...
I kinda forgot about those, and now I put them back up
Eric