PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Bass Ray manzarek

brent
01-27-2006, 04:12 AM
How do i play keyboard Bass?

Whats the difference between Keyboard bass VS regular bass players?

Like Ragtime bass lines use alot of keyboard bass

I see Ray manzarek from the Doors use alot of keyboard bass what kind of
alternating or approach is keyboard should be doing ?

Madaxeman
01-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, here it goes...
Ray Manzarek played bass lines on his keyboard with his left hand, because live they didn't typically use a bass player. So this means, rather than playing chords like other pianists, he would use the lower register of the keyboard to play bass lines.
Now, in the 80's, keyboardists took this to another level by using synthesizers to play what a bass guitarist would...which really hurt gigging bass players. Lots of this used in New Wave bands.
How do you play keyboard bass? Well, find a song or band with some good bass playing, and play it on a keyboard. Examples include, but are not limited to, Weather Report, Stanley Clarke, Guns 'n Roses, early Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Billy Sheehan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica (master of puppets), the Doors, Aerosmith (pump) (toys in the attic) (rocks), RUSH...the list goes on and on.
Listen closely to any bass lines, and try to use some examples between chords when keyboarding along.

Madaxeman
01-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Listen to "Crossfire" by Stevie Ray Vaughan...great rhythm going there with bass, drum, and keyboard (piano?). This would be a fantastic example.

brent
01-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I thought keyboard bass was different than regular bass guitar phrases?

Keyboard bass phrases are different than bass guitar phrases?

Spino
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
That's probably because they're two different instruments ,
ya dig ? :rolleyes: :cool:

brent
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
The keyboard bass phrasing the left hand keyboard bass phrasing is different
like ragtime and others its different than bass guitar

whats the difference?

Madaxeman
01-28-2006, 01:33 AM
The phrasing will be different because the keyboard is a keyboard, and it will sound different than a bass just by that fact alone. Having five fingers able to play notes simultaneously is going to sound different than four fingers that are limited by string/fret positions.
Please clarify the exact difference you are talking about, if this is not it. As far as phrasing, it will be different for each player, even if everything else is the same. For example, if I set up my guitar and amp and effects, it will sound like me when I'm playing...like Eddie Van Halen if he played it...like Zakk Wylde if he played it. That is phrasing...how each person adds his human element to the instrument.

brent
01-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Walkingbass, boogie woggie, rag time, stuff like this is keyboard bass

Walking Keyboard bass is different than walking guitar bass do u know what i mean?

Its the phrasing

Madaxeman
01-28-2006, 01:41 AM
As far as I know, a walking bassline is a walking bassline. If phrasing is the difference you mean, please re-read my last post. Different styles (as well as the same style on different instruments) will be unique.

ndrewoods
10-06-2011, 01:53 AM
How to play piano (http://takelessons.com/category/piano-lessons)/keyboard Bass?

Whats the difference between Keyboard bass VS regular bass players?

Like Ragtime bass lines use alot of keyboard bass

I see Ray manzarek from the Doors use alot of keyboard bass what kind of
alternating or approach is keyboard should be doing ?
I know this is an old thread but I just saw this when I tried to search on the net on what a keyboard bass is. Well all I know is that it is used for a low-pitched keyboard or pedal keyboard to substitute for the bass guitar or double bass in popular music. Does anyone here uses or plays with it for their gig? How is it played from a normal keyboard and bass?