PDA

View Full Version : Violin guitar playing Yngwie classical

brent
01-26-2006, 02:59 AM
whats the diffeerence between Classical Violin playing VS guitar lead playing?

How do i play the guitar like a violin?

Whats the difference between Violin licks/phrases VS guitar licks/phrases?

I wish someone would make a guitar Cd or DVD in the 24 caprices by paginini
love to hear this on electric guitar

oRg
01-26-2006, 03:37 AM
The 24 Caprices are played on classical guitar by a man named Elliot Fisk. Very awesome guitarist. You can also buy Jason Becker's Hot Licks DVD and get to see him play Paganini's 5th Caprice on electric guitar.

What do you mean by "play the guitar like a violin"?
Do you mean with a violin bow, fretless guitar?

The different between violins and guitars is the tuning, the fretboard scale, and the size. Violins are tuned in 4ths starting from G usually, while the guitar is tuned in 5ths starting at E. The scale on a guitar can range from 25" ro 27" depending on how many strings it has. The scale for a violin is about 11"-13" roughly. Not to mention the violin only has 4 strings while a guitar can have as many as 9-12 strings. I've even seen "guitars" that have had 10 strings (6 regular guitar strings and 4 bass strings).

brent
01-26-2006, 03:48 AM
When i listen to Classical Violin music and i know Yngwie does too and the phrases/licks from the classical violin are different than guitar lick/phrase
whats the difference?

Maining Focusing on the Classical Violin Phrases/licks and how to applie them to the guitar?

How do i play the guitar like a violin the classical phrases/licks

Whats another difference i know Yngwie talks about is how u "Pick" the guitar
like a violin

widdly widdly
01-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Michael Fath has a book of arrangements and a CD recording of the 24 Caprices... (http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/01905/details.html)

This recording features some of Paganinni's work including a concerto and a caprice arranged for electric guitar and orchestra (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000028U29/104-3734090-1891937?v=glance&n=5174)

This CD has three of the caprices arragned for electric guitar by John Tapella. Some of them you can download for free. (http://cdbaby.com/cd/tapella2)
________
WEBSITE HOST (http://hostndesign.com)

brent
01-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Thanks alot widdly widdly for that Michael Fath this solves my problem big time
i been looking for a long time for something like this

brent
01-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Man this Strad To Strat
Kevin Ferguson (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/199678/002-3564705-9213651)
Looks so dame cool i want this Cd so bad i been looking for a CD like this to play guitar with violin classcial songs

Do u guys know any body else like in this style any shred guitarist neo classical thats do like this CD of Kevin Ferguson?

DemonSorcerer
01-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Man this Strad To Strat
Kevin Ferguson (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/199678/002-3564705-9213651)
Looks so dame cool i want this Cd so bad i been looking for a CD like this to play guitar with violin classcial songs

Do u guys know any body else like in this style any shred guitarist neo classical thats do like this CD of Kevin Ferguson?

There's this video on the net...a guy playing a near-impossible Wienawsky caprice...i think he's a member of the IBM community...i remember EricV talking about him and posting a link to one of his videos...hey, Eric...if you're anywhere near, could you re-post the link for Brent to see it??

There are plenty of electric guitar versions of Paganini's Moto Perpetuo...Paganini is actually one of the luckiest violin players...because every guitarist loves his music!! there's great violin music that transcribes quite well to guitar...you should check Vivaldi's Four Seasons...there's a French guy named Patrick Rondat who plays one of the Summer Concerto movements...actually, the most famous one in Gm, you should check it...

Again, there's this Symph X's Michael Romeo version of Paganini's 2nd violin concerto...first movement...of course, he doesn't play exactly like Paganini, 'cause it'd be a loooong piece to tackle on a studio and because there are many violin techniques involved that you just can't achieve on a guitar (e.g. faster-than-fast double stops, double harmonics, balzate bowing, etc, etc)

That was my cent to this thread...

David

DemonSorcerer
01-26-2006, 05:07 AM
...And just to tease you, and to be nice, here's my rendition to my fav Paganini's Caprice: The Eleventh one...it has two parts, as i explained on another post...here's the fast part, the first half of it...Notice the big intervallic skips that involve the G open string...also, bear in mind that those are MY personal fingering choices...you may change them to suit your technique and whatnot...

Org, i know you like this one too, so i hope you like my version!! ENJOY, GUYS!!

David

Holger Persch
01-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Regarding to "violin like" playing I would suggest to listen to Uli Jon Roth's music. As an example I would recommend "Metamorphosis of Vivaldi's four seasons". You also should aware of the fact that his special style of playing is highly influenced by his "Sky-Guitar" which has seven strings and allows playing over five octaves (as far as I know).

Holger

brent
01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
THanks guys for the help

Metamorphosis of Vivaldi's four seasons

Yes i got this and Yngwies guitar concerto DVD both are really good

oRg
01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
...And just to tease you, and to be nice, here's my rendition to my fav Paganini's Caprice: The Eleventh one...it has two parts, as i explained on another post...here's the fast part, the first half of it...Notice the big intervallic skips that involve the G open string...also, bear in mind that those are MY personal fingering choices...you may change them to suit your technique and whatnot...

Org, i know you like this one too, so i hope you like my version!! ENJOY, GUYS!!

David
I like it. Good job!

I myself have thought about doing a paganini cover, except mine wouldn't be a fast one. It's more melodic in content. It's the 6th Caprice. This is my favorite out of them all. Even though I might have said different in the paganini thread. I like to play alot of technical death metal so I think this would fit in very well...hopefully.:D

I got to finish transcribing it though.

brent
01-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Do u guys know any Neo Classical guitarist that play classical guitar like randy rhodes,Yngwie,Uli Roth

Is there more Neo Classical guitars Shreders like Kevin Ferguson?

I'm looking for shreders that do classical guitar or violin guitar

Oceano
01-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I have that Kevin Ferguson cd. I haven't listened to it in a while but remember that it did not meet my expectations at all. I had read some good reviews and bought it. It wasn't what I expected (maybe my expectations were high due to the reviews I had read), but I wasn't into his tone and also though he was a bit sloppy, not very clean which is something that I think is absolutely necessary when playing violin pieces on guitar, you have to be very clean or it sounds like crapp.

I also have that Michael Fath book, it is a great book but the cd recording once again is crappy, the tone is not good and the playing is not clean. However, this is different because it is just a cd that comes with the book for reference. I believe that if Michael Fath was putting that piece on one of his cd's not only would the playing be super clean, but he would also have a good tone, I am saying this based on the recordings I have heard from him.

Oceano
01-26-2006, 05:56 PM
As for Neo-classical guitarists, do a search on google or something and I am sure you will come across a couple million such guitarists :rolleyes:

oRg
01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
You should check out Tony MacAlpine. I haven't heard him but I've nothing but good things about him. You can also check out Nevermore. They may not be neoclassical but the solos are definitely influenced by Yngiwe. Except Jeff Loomis tends to do some crazier things from what I've seen, but that's my opinion.

Oceano
01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I will give you some essential listenings.

Yngwie Malmsteen: Rising Force, Probably the ultimate neo-classical guitar album, laid the foundation for everything that is still coming out today.

Tony Macalpine: Maximum security, I my opinion it is easily one of the best top 5 ever neo classical albums.

Vinnie Moore: Mind's Eye, same as above.

Then you can go a little further back and listen to some Uli John Roth or Ritchie Blackmore with Rainbow.

There are others such as Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert that also mix the neo classical thing and then guys like George Bellas and Joe Stump are almost just Neo classical.

One of the more recent neo classical style players that I am the most impressed with is Miroslav Mitic, he has it all, technique, tone, emotion, excellent songs, the whole package. Check him out.

brent
01-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Oceano where u get Kevin Ferguson CD at because tower,virgin and all the records stores can't get it i can only get it on Amazon and its $40

Is there a MP3 of this whole album somewhere?

brent
01-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Is that Mike Fath ONLY one song just only the 24no. ?

Or is it the Whole caprice 1-24?

Because im looking for a guitar Cd with all the caprice 1 through 24

Oceano
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Go here:

http://www.guitar9.com/stradtostrat.html

listen to the samples and if you like it, I don't think it is too espensive.

The Michael Fath is only Caprice 24. He breaks it down and plays his arrangement of the whole piece. I don't know of a whole electric guitar cd that has caprices 1 to 24, but it is possible. MAny different players have recorded different caprices.

Bizarro
01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Don't lose sight of the big picture: the violin and guitar are merely tools to make music. The musician decides which notes to play. The instrument does not dictate what notes you play. Certain things may be easier to play on one instrument vs another, but that's a different issue.

A genre can be analyzed to determine the harmonic and melodic content so you can emulate it, but it doesn't matter if you play banjo, violing, guitar, piano, etc...

That's what Yngwie and Vinnie Moore did (among countless others). They took classical music, studied it intensely, and played their interpretations on the electric guitar.

forgottenking2
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
You can rip the frets off your guitar, refinish the fretboard, get flat wound strings and then tune your guitar in 5ths. Then it'll feel more like a cello and will sound like a Koto... but hey you can do a lot with it. I am currently experimenting with one... it's a low quality guitar (the only one I could think of losing in case the experiment failed) and it's hard to play (specially since the fret maks don't match the actual notes anymore (scale lenght issues). It's definitely something different.

DemonSorcerer
01-27-2006, 10:09 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

I'm currently listening to Roth's rendition to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons...and WOW!!! who mentioned Malmsteen...or those neo-classical wannabes...Uli Jon Roth is the man...he just plays my favorite baroque pieces in such a convincing, powerful manner!! 2 thumbs up and all toes up as well!!! the only thing that i don't seem to like is his tone...too vintage for my tastes...

David

brent
01-27-2006, 10:21 PM
MAny different players have recorded different caprices

Which Electric guitarist played any classical guitar songs on a CD?
anything from bach to Mozart thats what im lacking is eletric guitar CD's
thats the shred master plays classical music on a electric guitar
who did this please?

That's what Yngwie and Vinnie Moore did (among countless others). They took classical music, studied it intensely, and played their interpretations on the electric guitar.

Thats why i mean is the interpreations of the violin licks/phrases applied to the electric guitar what are these interpreations of the violic phrases/licks?
how do they differ?

Bizarro
01-28-2006, 12:57 AM
They don't differ. It's just music. Listen to it and figure it out. There are tab resources all over the place for the caprices and other classical pieces. Pick a couple and work on it.

Nobody is going to say a guitarist plays "notes X,Y,Z" and a violinist will play "notes A,B,C". Think about what you are asking. It is not a very well thought out question.

forgottenking2
01-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Better yet, learn how to sight read and buy the original violin books (they are like $6.00) That'll teach you a lot. In fact since those compositions are public domain now, you can find them for free online (if you know how to read standard notation).

brent
01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
When listening to classical violin music how do i take the phrases/licks and applied them to the guitar?

What should i be listening for when listen to classical violin music? Because all i tell is the phrasing/licks are way different then on the electric guitar besides Kevin,Yngwie,Uli but only there classical electric guitar album i hear the phrases/licks like violin is because they are playing classical music

Its more of a classical style issue its the style VS modern eletric guitar

DemonSorcerer
01-28-2006, 04:55 AM
*Sighs*

Electric guitar will NEVER sound like a violin, if that's what you wanna know....they're different instruments, and some techniques won't work on each of them...for example, you can't achieve the sound of balzate bowing on electric guitar, simply because you don't use bows to play guitar...another thing is harmonics, for example...harmonics are chime-like tones on guitar...on violin, they sound similar to a high pitched, ghostly, whistling sound...another interesting examples are pull offs...on violin technique, the technique used for pull offs on guitar is what violinists know as left hand pizzicato...a technique pioneered by Paganini himself, by the way...

I'd suggest you to research about violin technique in order to understand more about this complex yet interesting topic...

David

Bizarro
01-28-2006, 03:56 PM
When listening to classical violin music how do i take the phrases/licks and applied them to the guitar?

It's quite easy (the process). You listen to the music, figure out what the notes are, and play them on your guitar. Or you buy the sheet music if it is too hard to figure out by ear. It takes work, lots and lots of work.

Many great guitarists say it is better to spend 1 week figuring out a song by ear, than it is to learn the same song by tab.

Len H
01-29-2006, 02:27 AM
OH MY GOD!!!

I'm currently listening to Roth's rendition to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons...and WOW!!! who mentioned Malmsteen...or those neo-classical wannabes...Uli Jon Roth is the man...he just plays my favorite baroque pieces in such a convincing, powerful manner!! 2 thumbs up and all toes up as well!!! the only thing that i don't seem to like is his tone...too vintage for my tastes...

David
His guitar is pretty unique also; it has 31 frets (if I am counting right) and Uli says that above the 24th fret the frets are in whole steps, otherwise they would be too close together. As for Uli I have to agree that he is in a class by himself. He might not be able to play as fast as some others, but when I listen to his music I don't ever get the feeling that he is blazing for the sake of blazing, everything seems to be just right. He uses techniques such as finger vibrato, bends to pitch, whammy bar vibrato, sweep picking, and volume swells so seamlessly everything just flows. You might want to check out "Transcendental Sky Guitar" also, he performs a few classical pieces on it. His version of Beethoven's 9th is beyond what I can describe here; you will have to hear it yourself.