PDA

View Full Version : Drumming & Rhythm

Black-Mantra
01-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I wasnt sure where to put this question so I figured here would be good. I have been reading up on Rhythm for some time and Im developing an interest in the 'theory' of drumming. I'm not interested in playing drums, just learning the non-technical side to it. So my question is, does anyone know where I can find such information for a beginner?

Malcolm
01-26-2006, 02:35 AM
I just did a Google using key words: Dumming rhythm ---- and came up with all kinds of "stuff".

UKRuss
01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I started life as a percussionist in youth orchestras and the like and we spent a lot of time just going through rudiments on the snare drum.
2 stroke rolls, 5 stroke rolls, 7 stroke 9 stroke etc.

Paradiddles, flams, flam rolls. Chancing accents in each of the rudiments. Develops a sense of rhythmic awareness.

But even now I spend a hell of a lot of time using my hands and fingers on table tops or my legs if I'm sitting using both feet to tap too and coming up with crazy rhythms just for fun, drives my work colleagues/family nuts but hey there you go.

There are many books you can buy which will help you, the one that helped me most...and I haven't looked at it in some time so the title might not be perfect is called "Theory of the Modern Drummer" or "Theory of Modern Drumming"

I'll see if I can find it and correct the title if I can.

And I believe any aspiring percussionist should have a copy of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa's Drum Battle.

Insane.

edit: apologies, I think IMHO it is impossible to learn the non technical side of drumming, there isn't one, drumming is by it's nature a technical skill.

Rhythym can be learnt sperately in terms of notation but it doesn't relate to drumming or execution of a rhythmic pattern where the hands delivering techniques are just as important as in any other instrument.

Black-Mantra
01-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I found lots of stuff, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for, drumming is something I know nothing about, so I thought I'd ask for a tip or two. Thanks for the info UKRuss, I've found some very interesting material to peruse. Im seeing what you mean by the technicality being essential, but I think its nice to know how the drummer operates.