PDA

View Full Version : Really really fast

Derrick
02-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Ok, so how does one go about approaching super high speed on guitar while picking ( 16th triplets around 200 BPM or 16ths at 220+ ).

Not that I've even attempted playing that fast yet, but I was wondering if there was perhaps a different aproach that needed to be taken as far as what one should practice.

I know it can be done, though, because I've seen it done, I just did't have time to ask the guy.

EricV
02-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Well, of course the answer mainly is "It takes a lot of work with the metronome" etc. ( Dīuh ! )
But some things I always considered important:

a) Stay relaxed. Donīt tighten up, cuz this will limit you
b) Petrucci once said "When you play fast, the movement should be the same as it is when you play slow". Keep that in mind, and pay attention to it.

Other than that, itīs all about working up to speed gradually with a metronome, and will take quite a while. But if you dont set your goals to high and work on it bit by bit, it should be a constant progress.

Other than that, check out my articles about picking, plus "Break It All Down", over at the "Technique" area...
Eric

Derrick
02-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Ok, well here I go.

Practice practice practice.

Asse
02-26-2003, 08:11 AM
16th triplets around 200 BPM

I'll consider that barely possible at all. :eek: It's equal to 20 notes/sec.

I find it hard to play faster than 16ths at approx. 200 bpm, if you play a different note per 16th note. The left hand is often the limit. It's much easier to play the same note in 16ths at 240 bpm / 16th sixtuplets at 160 bpm, especially on the thick E string.