PDA

View Full Version : Stretch problem

paintwarrior
01-14-2006, 02:41 AM
i was just curious if anyone knew any excersizes or something to help my hands relax and stretch farther lately ive been running into intervals like major and minor 10th

any advice?

bnazzz
01-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Unless the particular voicing absolutely demands it, you shouldn't have to stretch for a major or minor 10th, just put two strings in between the notes IE: 6 string and 4th string, 5th string and 3rd, etc.

Brian

silent-storm
01-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Unless the particular voicing absolutely demands it, you shouldn't have to stretch for a major or minor 10th, just put two strings in between the notes IE: 6 string and 4th string, 5th string and 3rd, etc.

Brian

or, if you're playing the piano like the forum indicates (sorry, just had to), you can play around with using the sustain pedal, or rolling through the chords. Both will give you an effect of hearing the entire chord even though you aren't hearing it all at once. It will be such a small difference that your ears will just think you are hearing it all at once. Or, you can experiment with quickly hitting the bottom voice with your left hand if the chord is in the right, or hitting the top voice or two with your right if the chord is in the left. Speaking from experience, you don't have to play everything with one hand...even classical scores are often written in a way that looks like you need to do so, with a huge amount of notes in the bass clef and only a few in the treble, but this is just for ease of reading and doesn't dictate what hand necessarily plays what.

Also, stretching large intervals just starts to happen naturally over time.

bnazzz
01-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Damn it, I just became a stereotypical ignorant guitarist. Well I suppose 22 years is long enough, I had to do it eventually.

Philcwm
11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
you can get finger stretchers, but I agree you should't have to stretch a tenth

Jed
11-19-2008, 10:03 PM
you can get finger stretchers, but I agree you should't have to stretch a tenth

The thread is from two years ago !!

Malcolm
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
In case anyone is still interested --- How to get the 10th. Check out:
http://www.yokewong.net/
Go to part 2 (the second video) on Greensleeves.

Schooligo
11-20-2008, 02:18 AM
quote by bnazzz

yeah this thread is old, but nothing wrong with people replying to it, and learning from the advice given in the thread, however it is important that the advice be useable,
and in that regard it's important that any "questionable &/or advice that could be percieved as poorly worded, typed, etc be amended, such as the above quote

I'm sure it's a typo and he meant to say the 6th string and 3rd string(especially since he clearly mentions
"you shouldn't need to stretch for a major or minor 6th", and he also mentions "just put two strings in between the notes"

but just to clarify the original quote it is impractical(referring to the guitar fretboard) to do intervals of a tenth on the 6th and 4th strings, 5th and 3rd etc

for instance G on the 6th string 3rd fret to the B on the 9th fret 4th string is an impractical stretch, and not a likely strategy, and though great guitarists like Eric Johnson use the interval of a 10th alot in music he doesn't play them sequentially on the "6th and 4th strings respectively" as that would be an impractical stretch