Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my rhythm guitarist has bad rhythm

Aaron

my rhythm guitarist has bad rhythm

my rhythm guitarist has always had a problem with rhythm. When i first told him to learn whisky in jar he couldn't do the simple main rhythm at all, though he's come a long way from there. now i think he's having problems with sycopation, triplets and mostly slowling down and speeding up tunes in certain tempos. all we need is for his rhythm to improve then we would be a good live band.
    basically does anyone know how to correct really bad rhythm.

Practising with a metronome is a good start.

This is a good one, even if you think you have goood rhythm its still a good one to do.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/32
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo150
    This is a good one, even if you think you have goood rhythm its still a good one to do.
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/32
    Hi Mateo, good job remembering this article. I liked it a lot as well.

Maybe a stupid question but...

Can he hear what he is playing?

I know that I used to turn up the volume for the lead guitar so laud that the other guy had no chance of hearing what he was doing!

Quote Originally Posted by FredrikD
    Can he hear what he is playing?
    Or feel the groove? Does he realise that he's out?

The groove is the crucial bit. Focusing on the drums only while playing is a good way to get a grip on the rhythym, experimenting after that and getting it right comes with practice.

Metronomes are very helpful, and I would recommend buying a few James Brown / funk records which are filled with syncopations and solid rhythmic playing to practice along to.

learn to dance...

I'm serious. I've had a lot of teachers in school that have said something along the lines of: "I know you guys all put in rediculas hours of practice, but music is all about rhythm and if you aren't out dancing every weekend, regardless of how you feel about the music, how on earth are you going to learn any natural kind of rhythm that can easily come out in your playing."

We always hear that we should be able to sing everything that way we don't need an instrument to know what is going on. Well, rhythm is the same. If you can't express some kind of natural rhythm with your body how on earth are you going to be able to do it on an instrument?

Aaron
    he can pick up beats to songs even some hard time sigs like 7/8 though his timing unaccurate in some beats. Though somtime when he hears something without a a beat in the background and just the music he finds it hard to pickup the beat. I tell him to listen to african rhythms or james brown type stuff and says he'll do it and never does. He listens to a lot of stuff like trivium, children of bodom, dragonforce, metallica and vinnie moore as we a melodic metal style band.

I pity the fool.- Mr T nuclear81's Avatar
    Shoot him. It's a lot easier to get a new guitarist then wait for ever for him to improve. =) JK
    Yanni is Hardcore!!!

Registered User GuitarDreamer20's Avatar
    It sounds like to me that your friend doesn't have a very good "inner" sense of time. This comes over time with practicing with a metronome and playing with a band. It just takes time, but I'd definitely recommend him getting out a metronome and practicing with it no matter what he is doing, just have it going on all the time in the background until it's second nature.

Aaron
    He's been playin guitar for 2-3 years. When i first started playing with him he couldn't play the simplest of rhythms like blink182 or tap to a song with drums. Now he can play songs like system of down chop suey in time and can cope with the occassional dotted crotchet or quaver but anything with a slightly confusing rhythm like aeriels he'll end up losing the timing ocassionally and ends up playing on an off-beat or playing the wrong bit at the wrong time.

Is this normal progress of this inner timing? because his timing development seems to be taking way too long

Can he rhythm read ? (I mean from the staff). Larning to do that and working with good quality tabs (that include the staff) helped me no end eventually including cases where I'm working by ear. Just time spent on tapping my foot clapping out the correct rhythm, then guitar with the metronome slow and then up to speed. Going straight into a difficult rhythm at full speed is not doable for everyone.
    Last edited by ashc; 06-09-2005 at 04:02 PM. Reason: messed up

Registered User GuitarDreamer20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdude2
    He's been playin guitar for 2-3 years. When i first started playing with him he couldn't play the simplest of rhythms like blink182 or tap to a song with drums. Now he can play songs like system of down chop suey in time and can cope with the occassional dotted crotchet or quaver but anything with a slightly confusing rhythm like aeriels he'll end up losing the timing ocassionally and ends up playing on an off-beat or playing the wrong bit at the wrong time.

Is this normal progress of this inner timing? because his timing development seems to be taking way too long
    LOL...patience my friend. I will say I don't think it took most of us that long, but everyone is different. Also, some people just pick up naturally. If he's never broken out a metronome or anything like that and it doesn't come to him naturally, than it's going to be tough and take some time. If he's having problems though, you really gotta beat it into his head to get out the metronome. Have him do simple exercises and explain basic rhythm to him, like whole notes, half, eights, etc. Just have him do clapping exercises or something of that nature. And then, apply it to the guitar, but keep it simple at first. Just have him play one note in straight eighths, etc. It will help a lot I'm sure.

Aaron
    I do exactly that or I used to and found he kept going downhill without me taking up hours of my time to help him, so I decided if he is truely dedicated to music he will acheive good rhythm and practice hard for the band and by that time I'd figured out just about every method in improving his rhythm. Now the only method he uses is listening to music a lot and learning parts of songs (without perfecting them rhythmically). will his way help or will he need a really strict guitar teacher to knock some rhythm to his head?