Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

Strictly Dorian?

Really? Is it?

I just dunno anymore...

Anyway, I've left a funky type backing track on a Dmin G7 type thingy.

It came out with a funky feel and as usual I've done me bit in terms of putting a line over the top, hopefully plucking some Dorian flavour over the thing. Accentuating the b3 b7 where appropriate of course..

It's arguable that it is of course Mixolydian over the G7...and pentatonic in places...and theres some other stuff in there but not too much I hope. In the sense of trying to stay Strictly...err that should be Strickly whatever, I haven't been too crazy..

But there are those that might say it's because I can't be more creative anyway LOL

Anyway, I'm sure having the extra chord available might open it up for the cleverer musicians amongst us to demonstrate some niiiiice stuff. Just one additional rule if you stray from the "strickly" path, please explain what you done, to us mere mortals, cheers.

Dorian, or whatever you fancy and try to explain, in Dmin.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Check out Pat Martino's writtings about soloing. He likes to 'minorize' everything so he can take all his dorian licks and reuse them over all the other kinds of chords.

hahah u make me laugh russ, thanks for this, ill definately post something up today. so whats this the 3rd instalment in the "strictly series"?. lol. sweet backing. so its a Dorian in the key of D, flat 3rd and 7th. so thats a minor key, duh and it must be a minor 7th chord. and then you say iut goes to G7. well i think ill be safe in Dorian in the key of D see if i can even do that first! but for now striclty dorian. whats with all the random stops man, its gonna put me off time bad, i better remember where they are! your version wasent bad, nothing great but im being plain. this stuff is pretty hard to solo over so mines probably gonna be worse lol.

Now thats some gooood stuff. Love the backing and what you do with it Russ, sounds fantastic. Maybe i can give it a try if the local music store ever finished fixing my guitar. Sounds really nice man.

Great backing, I had fun just learning that...
    Last edited by Mateo150; 02-14-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Talking yeah, here it is.

heres my take, i absoloutly love it. for me its pretty good. recording still a bit ****ty but im working on it. mines is kinda penta dorian but the notes in dorian are in pentatonic(most of them) so im not cheating. thanks for the unexpected stops throughout the song russ. it gave me space to delete sections with mistakes or part i werent happy with, so it came in handy lol. i love the start with the legato however my legato needs work.. i was gonna use clean but im more of an overdrive/dist player. i tried to replay notes over and over and licks this time cause i have a tendancy to run upo and down scales and play stupid shred. its like if i dont incorporate the whole scale of dorian of all the modes across both octaves of the fretboard it aint good enough. .. ive kept it simple, and pretty much boxed in around the 10th fret. simple but sounds good. id love to hear more takes. if i do another definatly funky wah is cryin' for this song man.

Wow, these threads are loads of fun!
    I tried to come up with some funky lead-playing that would suit the backing-track. Not sure if it's "dorian" or not though, I just played whatever I though sounded good.. It's mostly pentatonic anyway, and it's not completely improvised (I had to do a couple of retakes..).
    Last edited by Moonchild; 02-14-2005 at 11:52 PM.
    - Erik

UKRuss, I like that! Funkaaay! I like the phrasing on your take, suits the backing really well. Satch, nice but perhaps you could try with a little less distortion, it masks alot of the dynamics and your playing loses a lot of definition because of it. Moonchild, some cool pentatonic stuff going on there.
    I'll have a go at recording a version tomorrow when I get back from lectures, should be fun!

hey satch, lotsa good stuff goin on but im not sure (i remeber you said you plugged in a certain way) but the distortion is really one sided and its probably cause of your line in.(dont know how to explain it) but an alternative is using a mic. That buzz i hear that you get when your guitar picks up sounds like from the line, i had that problem till i used a mic and it doesnt do that anymore. Moon, your take was awesome as well, had that funky blues. Both of them were great. Mines taken forever but im already liking it and i hope you all will too. I already know its gonna be way too big for ibreathe so it will be posted on my site when i get it done.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

yeah i just went and bought a mic today for a measly $8 . in the future i will be going mic to record cause line in just sucks man. my lead tone is terrible. i might do another take with a funky wah. moon child i love teh funk brother. nice. simple playing( not to many notes) but thats all you need for an effective solo. my prob is playing 2 many notes to quick. like up and down whole scales. and thinking that in every solo if i dont do legato, sweep picking and big scale runs than its 2 simple and everyone will hate it , but ive came to realise it all about emotion and sound not technique or speed. i love the phrasing and your licks. later

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    It came out with a funky feel and as usual I've done me bit in terms of putting a line over the top, hopefully plucking some Dorian flavour over the thing. Accentuating the b3 b7 where appropriate of course..
    Enjoy!
    Hey Russ, You remind me of one of my all time favorites, Peter Frampton. Nice. MoonChild, Tasty also, great tone. Satch, well, ahh, can't wait till you try it with your mic set up I can't record with now cause my daughter is in the Computer room with me and she cranks her music. You guys ever heard of Muse? Well she plays it all the time and I have really grown to like it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

muse? do you mean fuse? or is muse a band. I know fuse is a channel that plays music.

Without further adue. Here is my take. I recorded a my keyboard over the drums and a organ solo not to mention little tid bits here and there. I took a jazzy feel at the begining and the end and in the middle gave a twist to the things. Lengthened the song too (the drum pattern). Im actually proud to post this one on the board (i wasnt with the others x.x). It sounds best when turned up loud but not TOO loud =P . Comments and advice welcome. BTW, thanks a bunch for that awesome backing track, it really spured alot of inspiration. All these modes are making me more comfortable with playing 3nps and such and i already can tell im getting better in relation to where notes are on the fretboard and such while improvising with modes. Thanks alot russ, YOU ROCK MAN! lol. Its gonna take a LONG time to download even with DSL but i promise its worth it! 2.08 MB

as usual go here-------->
    http://www.angelfire.com/music6/gtrvvampyre/

and click ---------->Dorian D (Proud of this one).........enjoy =P (hopefully )

i think i really got the groove of this song and thats why i did better and im happpy with it

Russ, what do you use to create those drums, im not sure if you mentioned it but theres one part when i cut the drums i would have loved to have them kick back in really hard.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 02-15-2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: cause i spelled groove "grooze" -.-

really nice gtr vampire. something refreshing and different to listen to. love the organ solo 2. your playing aint sloppy unlike mine. i like the dynamics from soft to loud. nice melodies man. good tone aswell.

OK - Here's my take on the Dorian backing. Hope you don't mind Russ - I kinda took out the stops & starts....

Anyway, this is just me going off after having a Valentines Day Korean Bar-B-Q Eating Fest with enough bloated gut action to last the rest of the....the....day!

They should rename "dorian" to "Carlos" - give 10 isolated guitarists Dm7 / G7 and they all sound like Santana

Everyone did a good job so far. Pro-efforts from everyone called Russ! (great backing track from the UK one as well).

Moonchild - Nice again. I think you said you've been playing just 1 1/2 years - you are someone we are going to have too keep an eye on!

Satch - you sound a bit Carlos'ish like also - Death Santana with all that distortion maybe, better tone than the Ionian take. Hope you can fix the recording setup to lose the hum soon.

Vampyre - nice, there was a hendrixy legato bit in there, so you broke away from the Santana curse for a second.

Los B - I know Muse - great live band, he's a very talented and intense performer. Looking forward to another pro job from you

I'll give it a go, I can't see a way to cheat on this one - grab the stick on mustache, put on the aviators, neck pick up, roll off the volume knob, dial in a boogie amp setting and......flop.

How about strickly jeopardy (in honour of the TV show) - someone posts a solo and you have to put on a rhythm track ;-) Seriously, it would be good to do this for rhythm work too - maybe styles? e.g. RHCP funk, Led Zep riff, Hendrix chord embellishments... input could just be a key or progression.
    Last edited by ashc; 02-15-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: weird typos