Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: im confused ...

im confused ...

hey everyone ...alright i have acouple of questions for ya if you dont mind.
    Ok the first one is what is the difference between a major scale and a minor scale? from what i can tell its the same scale just started on the II note instead of the I note ...i am i way off here?
    and my second question is I have a little thing with me that is telling me to play a C major scale, voiced in fourths over Dmin7, G7sus, and Fmaj.7(#11).
    first im not so sure what playing in fourths really means and the other part is why does this work? i havnt been able to figure out why you play a c major in 4ths over what appears to be a Fmaj. progression?
    hope for your help and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantMe
    Ok the first one is what is the difference between a major scale and a minor scale? from what i can tell its the same scale just started on the II note instead of the I note ...i am i way off here?
    When you compare scales you have to compare them with the same root. So really you cannot compare a C Major scale with an A Minor.
    The difference between the major and the minor scale to the same root is that the aeolian minor has a b3, b6 and b7 in relation to its major scale. When the minor starts is the 6th degree of the major it is called (i believe) a relative minor scale. Other minor scales are dorian (b3,b7) and phrygian (b2,b3,b6,b7).

and my second question is I have a little thing with me that is telling me to play a C major scale, voiced in fourths over Dmin7, G7sus, and Fmaj.7(#11).
    first im not so sure what playing in fourths really means and the other part is why does this work? i havnt been able to figure out why you play a c major in 4ths over what appears to be a Fmaj. progression?
    I am not sure what voicing in fourths means, but i **think** that progression is in C major. There is only one dominant seventh in a standard major scale and it usually indicates the key. G7 is the V of C Major.

That's the best i can get to, i might be wrong.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

ok so i was right then ...right? a minor scale is just a mode of the major scale.

and thanks for the slap in the face i dont know what i was thinking about that being a F maj. scale. LOL i needed someone else for that to click for some reason ....so thanks for your time and clearing it up for me.

hey everyone ...alright i have acouple of questions for ya if you dont mind.
    You're close. Staring on the ii degree is actually Dorian minor. The vi degree is what is usually refered to as the minor scale. For example, C major starting on the note A is A minor. C major is the relative major of A minor, and A minor is the relative minor of C major.

Although they have the same notes, a song in a major key will return to the I chord as its home sound (tonic), and a song in a minor key will revolve around the vi chord as its tonic.

There are also some variations of the minor scale (harmonic minor primarily), so minor key songs a little more complex than just starting on the 6th degree of the major scale.

hope for your help and thanks.
    If you start on the first note of a scale and go to the second note, that is called a second. In the key of C, going from C to D is a second, or going from D to E is a second. Going from the first note to the third note is a third, like C to E, or D to F, or E to G, etc. Two thirds stacked together (like C E G, D F A, etc) are how normal major and minor chords are built.

Fourths is just one more step from there. C to F, D to G, E to A, etc. When you play two notes together, you have a chord. If you stack two fourths together, such as C F B (C to F, and F to B), then you have a quartal triad. This is probably what your chart is showing you. This is a common way to play chords in jazz, and is reffered to as quartal harmony.

The reason why that works over Fmaj is because of that #11. It's not in the key of F major, since that has a natural 11th (the note Bb). When the notes are F G A B C D E F and the chord is Fmaj7, then it's called F lydian. This is almost exactly like F major, but the 4th degree (same thing as the 11th) is raised a half step (hence #11). C major and F lydian share the same notes, so that's why C major played as quartal triads works over Fmaj7#11.

The difference between C major and F lydian is that the harmony for F lydian is an Fmaj chord, without that chord to define it, it could be either one, or any of the 7 modes of the major scale.

This same concept applies to the Dm7 and G7sus chords you mentioned. They are all chords found in the key of C, so a C scale played as fourth chords will work over any of them. Fourths are inherantly ambiguous, so the same fourth triad will work over a number of different chords.

thanks you so much that really cleared it up for me.... no more banging my head against the wall for tonight. thanks again guys

no Pop , it wasnt over head but thanks for your concern...i know a very good amount of stuff ...i understand my guitar for the most part but, i learned bymyself so there are holes that i have to fill all the time and often times it just a matter of wording for me or at times i just have a brain freeze. lol Your reply was exactly what i needed and it cleared up the questions so again i thank you.