Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: mp3 to note software?

mp3 to note software?

Does anyone know of any software that can take an mp3 file and display the notes in the song, on ledger lines perhaps or just the note names? I'm trying to tab complicated stuff and doing it by ear is a lengthy process. Any help would be much obliged. ~Rob

Hey there Robdude,

Welcome to this forum.
    I think what you are reffering to is what we call the magic wand.
    It's still in Research and development.
    What is it you are trying to tab out? Is it a popular tune?
    Is it just insane?
    If you have it on mp3, try attaching it to a reply and we can give it a listen.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

I was wondering about that 'magic wand' thing, I never heard of a program like it but a friend of mine said she used one to figure out a song several years ago in high school. I don't see why it can't be created, at least if the song is converted to midi first. The song I'm trying to tab is called Spiral by Bozzio Levin Stevens, an amazing flamenco guitar song by an amazing progressive rock instrumental band. I've gotten the lead and about half of the backup guitar rhythms for the first minute(!), and that took forever. I had to use Sony Sound Forge 7.0 to time stretch the track so I could pick out the individual notes in the fingerpicking accompaniment. Unfortunately no one's really heard of the band hence no tabs hence I have to learn it myself. Great song, check it out. Hopefully I can get the attachment to work..

I'm trying to tab complicated stuff and doing it by ear is a lengthy process
    gee... maybe they invent a programm that plays the guitar for you cause it takes so long to learn it... .

i'd suggest using "Transcribe!" to slow it down.

don't take it personal dude.. i just transcribed so much stuff by ear that i would be pissed off if there would be a prog that tells you the notes.

isn't there a tab out there for your song?

Hey Sven, does that Transcribe! slow things down and leave them fairly noise free so it's easy to tell whats going on?

I have a slow down function on my BR864 which frankly makes a hell of a noise that too listen to it for too long gives you a headache and detracts from the ability to hear whats going on. So much in fact, you resort to listening to it at full speed.

Hope it went ok yesterday btw.

hey,

transcribe is awesome. it stays in pitch and just alters the tempo.
    it s noise free as well. i think there is a downloadable trial version if you click the link in my previous post. just give it a try - i love it.

I will. cheers

can you pm me your e-mail adress?

Alright I just tried the transcribe software and I have to say its fing awesome. I just played back the tempo at 5% and heard only a few minor rapid clicks of missing audio data that it couldn't fill in at the onset of notes, but the distortion was very minimal and smooth (at 5%!!), exactly what I wasn't used to. I can't believe how well it works, I can even adjust the tempo real-time. Damn that's great. Naw there's no tab for Spiral, have you ever heard of Bozzio Levin Stevens?? Yeah so thanks for that suggestion, Transcribe is perfect for slow playback. Now how do I get attachments to work, I clicked on manage attachments, browsed to the mp3 file, clicked upload, and nothing happened. I tried it with explorer and mozilla. Apparently it couldnt connect to the forum server or something..

hey,
    good to see transcribe works for you as well! i couldn't believe it myself that you can slow down stuff that perfectly in realtime.
    about the attachements, maybe they were too big? i think they are limited to 1,5 mb.