Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What is this song's key and chord progression structure?

What is this song's key and chord progression structure?

Hey all, I'm just looking for a quick answer to this. All I want to know is what is this song's scale, and the chord progression structure (ii, IV, V, etc). I'm not very good with scales yet, and I've written this up, and need to know these things.

The chord progression is:

Am, C Major, D Major, E Major, Am, C Major, D Major, G Major.

Thanks for any and all replies.

P.S. A quick answer would be much appreciated!
    Please check out my band's site at Hidden Content

Tell me what you think!

Hi Wylde fan,

First a quick answer: You can say it is in G major key, ii-IV-V-VI-ii-IV-V-I

Now not so quick answer:

Coming up with some random chords does not usually turn up a song in one key. It probably turns in a mixture of keys, or an un-keyed song. If you think this progression as in the key G major, which is the best approximation to the 'laws', then you still have a dissonance in the E chord (the G# note). You can try to change E to Em to avoid it. But music has not to follow laws! You can still keep it that way, just try to use that dissonance wisely in your solo/melody.

My 2 cents, I am not a theory guru, so let's see what others will say on this
    "Beauty is the ultimate defense against complexity."
    - David Gelernter [Machine Beauty (1998)]

Well, it's not a random chord progression, it's a finger-patter I came up with one day, brought it to band practice today, and the drummer and bassist loved it (first time they had heard it). We spent the rest of the practice making it more into a song (adding the base chords underneath it, adding a bass track, etc.).

Now, however, I'm trying to write a few lead lines, and I'm stuck...

I was screwing around in the Am Penatonic, and noticed that all the root notes are in that scale, so would the key be A? Would that work?

Lol, I'm really bad at this.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Am Penatonic if it works, any thoughts?

Tell me what you think!

La vie carnivalesque salsainglesa's Avatar
    Actually, you can use a diferent scale with every chord... look up for the threads in this forum about changues over chords...

But to keep iot simple, you can use the minor pentatonics over the minor chords and the major pentatonics over the major chords... there are many other ways of making melodies, but if you know pentatonic scales that is a good place to start at

Anyway, i want to add that the E works well before the Am because E is the auxiliary dominant of Am, if you add a minor 7th to that chord it would give you some color en sense of resolution...
    look for information on cylce of 4ths/5ths

hope i have helped... a little at least!!

Let's not loose site of resolution. The "verse" structure as well as the chord and key structure should have a finish (resolve to the tonic). Unless you want to leave everything unresolved........

.....You see there is always that "if you want to" you can break the rules, but why not try and follow them right at first and stick to G Major? Makes it a lot simplier and produces a good piece of work - take the E to Em and keep within the rules , but I bet no one will ever come on stage and say, "that was supposed to be Em, if you leave it as you have it".
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12-05-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Key of G major: C, D, and G major triads can belong, even A minor.
    E major can come from either the key of Emajor, A major, B major. I don't intend to confuse you, but you can also 'import' chords from the E, A, and B major keys to be used in the song.

E major can be called an alternate chord instead of the E minor, it has a strong resolution towards A minor. I think it works like an E7-Am progression.

The major third of the E major (G# note) can be used as a leading tone toward any diatonic chord contaning an A note. like A minor, B minor7th, Cmajor(6), D major, and maybe if it works, Eminor(add4/add11).
    Last edited by roel; 12-05-2004 at 12:51 PM.
    Guitars Only blog http://u.bb/116565/guitarsonly
    Hidden Content

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    You say that you have some kind of fingering pattern?
    lets see that , powertab or tab or something...

do you have a short sound file? its hard to determine anything with just chord names, i need some kind of rythm too.

about scales..

try taking the E minor Pentatonic scale and jam along with a recorded version, and add some other notes while you play (take them away again if they sound bad; but remember that a note can sound bad with one chord and better with the next)...
    Just experiment, that was how you came up with the progression right?

..roel, good post
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde

I have the file on my other computer, without an internet connection. I'll transfer it to a USB chip now and then edit this post.

Last night I went on to add a Chorus and a pre-chorus. If you guys want, please tell me what you think of it as well.

Necromortis

Edit: Here's the file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wylde fan; 12-05-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarLausing
    ..roel, good post
    Thanks GuitarLausing, i hope i could come up with some more.
    Guitars Only blog http://u.bb/116565/guitarsonly
    Hidden Content

Wylde fan --- I'm unable to show your attachments. What must I download to be able to pull them up.

Thanks,

Sounds like a Job for A minor and E Phrygian. I would say, Solo in the A minor ,
    You could extend the chords to a full mesure each and , use a half mesure for each , in the chorus , of corse that's only a suggestion , it sounds good .
    ________
    EroticaExotica
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylde fan
    Hey all, I'm just looking for a quick answer to this. All I want to know is what is this song's scale, and the chord progression structure (ii, IV, V, etc). I'm not very good with scales yet, and I've written this up, and need to know these things.

The chord progression is:

Am, C Major, D Major, E Major, Am, C Major, D Major, G Major.

Thanks for any and all replies.

P.S. A quick answer would be much appreciated!
    Well with the exception of the G# note in the EM chord, everything else falls withing the key of G Major. Making the progression a ii, IV, V, VI, ii, V, I

G Major would work over all the chords except for the E Major chord which is treated separately. You could just substitute the G with a G# or try using the E melodic minor to connect that chord with the following Am.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Malcolm, you need Powertab in order to see the attachments. It's free, and a great buy!

Tell me what you think!