Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: hi guys

Cool hi guys

hey guys
    i am the new man. live in india, mumbai, to be precise! got a taste from metal to classical and blues-jazz! well, but mmbai doesnt give you the kinda exposure u guys get, english music is not the music people listen to here, the influences are all different. thats why guys, i would appreciate any insights and help! and i am game too contribute to anybody's knowledge if i can!

hi adityabarve!

welcome to ibreathe!!

it always feels great to have people around from far away and from different cultures. india... that's awesome, i think we have 3 posters now from india here if i'm right.
    hope you can fell "at home" here and enjoy athe boards!

Hey Adityabarve, great to see more people from India joining. Ill be more than glad to help you out on your musical quest and hopefully youŽll help me out in understanding the complexity of indian music (which I love).

Welcome and see you around!

let me start with a taste of indian music...

indian music has raag(s) instead of scales. the aa part is pronounced as "A" in armour. every raag is made up of 7 notes same as urs...

do re me fa so la tee do

sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa

so far so good..

now, every raag has a special time in a 24 hour day alloted to it when it sounds the best...no harm in playing any time else, but it will sound very well when it is supposed to be played. ok?

i'll tell you a raag called "hansdhwani", i know it should be cryptic to pronounce.

it ha sall whole tones, taking E as the root or main sa, it will be

sa re ga pa ni sa
    E F# G# B D# E

do re me so tee do

it may sound as one of our scales...but i never felt like it.( but then i dont know many scales)

every raag has two notes where you have stress that is play repeatedly between a run here they are E and B. if you stress on any different note, it becomes another raag...

let me know of any doubts...

by the way, i know scales, chords and modes but what are licks, shredders and legatos?
    somebody help!!

now, every raag has a special time in a 24 hour day alloted to it when it sounds the best...no harm in playing any time else, but it will sound very well when it is supposed to be played. ok?
    woow!

more please!
    can you write a thread about indian music, and how it is done reagarding composition and scale/chord material? how are chords build? tension and resolution? melodic design?

about your questions:

licks: small melodic lines, sometimes repeatet a few times and /or modified. a lot of players have distinctive licks and you can tell who is playing. for example, there are typical malmsteen licks or gilbert licks.

legato: if you play two or more notes in a row without picking them seperately. sliding or hammer on/pull off techniques are common there.

shredder: there are a few different explanations - but basically its someone who is playing all that fast stuff ;-). more comments here

Talking taste of indian music

hi guys,
    let me start with a taste of indian music...

indian music has raag(s) instead of scales. the aa part is pronounced as "A" in armour. every raag is made up of 7 notes same as urs...

do re me fa so la tee do

sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa

so far so good..

i'll tell you a raag called "hansdhwani", i know it should be cryptic to pronounce.

it ha sall whole tones, taking E as the root or main sa, it will be

sa re ga pa ni sa
    E F# G# B D# E

do re me so tee do

it may sound as one of our scales...but i never felt like it.( but then i dont know many scales)

every raag has two notes where you have stress that is play repeatedly between a run here they are E and B. if you stress on any different note, it becomes another raag...

i am not a scholar in indian music, man, just know a few things...it takes decades to know that well! by the way there are no chord compositions here... generally in a song, the singer sings the raag and a keyboard like instrument follows him/her simultaneously... the other instruments such as sitar, sarod etc play snips like leads or a long solo or such within or at the end of the song. the percussion is generally provided by the tabla, or another instruments such as mridangam or ghatam...

ask me in case of any doubts... thanx for the meanings..
    as i told the scale is refferrd to as a raag. the song is based on a raag or a a mixture of a few ones. the notes as i told you have been set traditionally... when i mix a raag with another one, the notes played are the ones that give out the essence of both or all the raags used. and these rules are adherred to by pure classical singers. there is also music that is loosely based on raags, use in our movies and such, all the popular pop, which is ofcourse most of the times pure bull****!

well that should be enough..see ya soon!

Fantastic info man, do you have any book or website recommendations where i can read some more on this topic?

Welcome. We appreciate your sharing your culture a bit with us.

Hi Aditya,
    good to have you here.Ibreathemusic is a fantastic site,defenitly read the articles(especially Guni's articles).People here are serious about thier music and you will get a lot to learn from them.Hope to see you aruond.

@phantom-As Aditya told there are no chords in indian music.Guitar is not an Indian instrument therefore theory about guitar is not much developed in indian style,instead it is the same as the western.But there are some variations adopted from sitar,harmonium and tabla (for rhythm,just like drums).

Sitar-Guitar playing is graetly influenced by sitar.All the theory is taken from sitar,the construction of scales and composition.You can at one point can say that sitar is a advanced type of guitar as you can have more variations in sitar playing.

Harmonium-All the melodic desing of guitar playing is based on it.the notes of harmonium and guitar are same in songs.

Tabla-They play the same role as drums but they are also played solo and taken as lead.When guitar is played with tabla it is played in a defenite rhythm pattern which is being used in tabla.About harmonic music Indian Style is vast.

In indian style instruments are used to give a background,a melody only(when with a singer).The singers voice is rhythm.About singing also indian music is rich.We have a big thoery about singing.When singing the singer will be told to sing a raag which can be played on instrument too.There are variations in singing when you want to show the singer as lead and when you want to show the instrument as lead.When singing a song also the singer is in the boundries of the raag played on the instrument.So that the singer and the instrument sound rhythmic.Therefore it is really helpfull in making music.

Some info about sitar:
    It is widly used in indian classical music and it's also popular in other places as well.In siter instead of using a pick, a Sitarist uses 2 mizrabs, which is a metal finger pick. One mizrab is placed on the index finger and the other on the pinky.the sitting position of the Sitar is quite different from a guitar,actually is it played sitting only.Listen to Ravi shankar you'll get what is sitar.
    There is a proverb that says a student of the sitar must spend 20 years learning, twenty years performing, and twenty years teaching the instrument to truly get into it.

@Koala-If you really want to learn indian music i would say start with the Tabla.It is very interesting instrument which you can enjoy learning.IMO Tabla is the best instrument to define indian music, it is excellent.Btw,don't you know some of sitar?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    May we move this thread to the Music Theory forum under a new title? At least that part of it that follows the introductions?

I think this is fantastic discussion and I'd like to see it preserved outside of the New Members forum. Okay to move it?

In fact, I think an "Introduction to Indian Music" would be a great article.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy
    I think this is fantastic discussion and I'd like to see it preserved outside of the New Members forum. Okay to move it?

In fact, I think an "Introduction to Indian Music" would be a great article.
    It's a great idea.Information about music styles of other cultures would be great.In fact we can have information about carabian music and arabic music as well.

Thanks for the good post Kush, yup I do know some sitar and some tabla but it is the whole concept behind Indian music that enchants me, still i am in diapers.