Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Blues jam

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Blues jam

I was out of the loop for years. I haven't jammed or been in a band in 20 years, but last year I started attending an open mic in my local area. I played some jazz/blues stuff. Here is the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Z_29ao34Y (I'm the guy with the green squire strat)
    Last edited by joeyd929; 06-04-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: left something out

I would like to hear and see you play but i'm running internet whit a 56k dialer modem

Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Michel View Post
    I would like to hear and see you play but i'm running internet whit a 56k dialer modem
    That's OK, thanks for posting anyway. Posting in this site is like fishing, it's hard to get a bite. Nobody responds to postings anymore so thanks for at least noticing. Joe :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd929 View Post
    That's OK, thanks for posting anyway. Posting in this site is like fishing, it's hard to get a bite. Nobody responds to postings anymore so thanks for at least noticing. Joe :-)
    I liked it! I spent a long time with a modem on old phone wires that never could get a throughput of more than 28.8 kbaud out of the 56kbaud modem, but I could still download a 3-minute youtube in 20 or 30 minutes ... better now, on broadband.

Anyhow, great jam! I wish I could find some jazz-oriented folks like that around to jam with. I'm enjoying playing the chord progressions more and more as I'm learning vanilla versions of standards. So far choosing ones with sung melodies that aren't TOO AWFUL cornball, 'til I can find some mates. Nice way to break out to the 3-chords-and-a-cloud-of-dust trap! Thanks for sharing. Like the color of that guitar, too!!!

... and yeah, it'd be nice to get the site's post count back up where it used to was !!! Archives here are filled with great discussions.
    Last edited by xyzzy; 06-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Guitar

Thanks, that is my 99 dollar fender squire strat. This local piano store owner hosts the open mics. Thanks for checking out the video as well. :-)

We just played a little jazz blues in the key of F.

3 chords

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
    Nice way to break out to the 3-chords-and-a-cloud-of-dust trap!
    That's why I started attending the open mics. All my friends that play instruments have no interest in getting out of the 3 chord "cloud of dust" trap. I had to find new friends to jam with and this open mic was perfect because it is hosted by experienced jazz musicians.

I study theory but there is something about jamming with experienced players that gives you the musical education that all the theory classes in the world can not do. (In my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd929 View Post
    I liked what I heard. Yep, this site is just before going under, I dare say not more than 20 people check in anymore. Usually the same ole four or five are all the activity you will find.

But, back to your efforts, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I liked what I heard. Yep, this site is just before going under, I dare say not more than 20 people check in anymore. Usually the same ole four or five are all the activity you will find.

But, back to your efforts, nice.
    I have been whit no net for a few years. What is appening ? Why as everybody gone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michel View Post
    I have been whit no net for a few years. What is appening ? Why as everybody gone ?
    I don't know. At some point a year or two, the forum started becoming victim to a lot of spam attacks. I seem to recall getting the impression that whomever had the keys to the kingdom (passwords) was unavailable for a time so that the remaining authorities' ability to effectively deal with the spam was hobbled. I think seeing that spam is kind of distressing, and gives one a feeling like when the subway has a lot of graffiti, that this may not be a safe place. No cops on the beat. This is only my uninformed opinion, of course, but I think that took its toll for a while. Still, there must be more to the story than that.

IMO we run the newbies off with our epistles or we get on one subject and discuss that one thing for 30 posts. They have no idea what we are talking about and leave. Of course IMO. Be interesting to see how many hits the articles get these days. Some great information that I bet is not being used.

A lot of great playing. I also liked the comping from the other guitarist a lot.

Sinan

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal View Post
    A lot of great playing. I also liked the comping from the other guitarist a lot.
    The other player is Sinan Bakir. He is a Hartford Conservatory grad, came here from Turkey some years ago. He has major chops and hosts the open mics. Here is a link to his site. http://sinanbakir.com/

Less attendants

I know, lately it seems like very few people even post at all, what a bummer. Such a great place for learning.

MusicTheorySite.com
    Sounds great man, you definately got into a groove towards the end there. I heard some really interesting notes along the way. Keep jamming!
    -Garrett
    Hidden Content Tutorials and Free Online Tools for Musicians