Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: iJam - Cry Me A River

Gersdal i think there's something with the 4th bar that isn't right. the 3 chords that showup in reaper use these notes 1) F D G Eb 2) F C G# D 3) Eb B F G

I'm not exactly sure what these chords are and i don't have time right now to figure it out, but i think the first is ok, with a nice voicing i might add, but the second one i think is a semi tone off from being a dim7, i think the C needs to be flattened to build the dim7. and the 3rd chord i'm not sure about.

I am only going through the piano parts, so maybe the bass adds other notes, idk, but i wouldnt' think so.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood View Post
    Gersdal i think there's something with the 4th bar that isn't right. the 3 chords that showup in reaper use these notes 1) F D G Eb 2) F C G# D 3) Eb B F G
    1) is a Ebmaj9
    2) is a Dm7b5
    3) is a G7#5

If you prefer, you can play G7 for 2) and 3), but I like the substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what these chords are and i don't have time right now to figure it out, but i think the first is ok, with a nice voicing i might add, but the second one i think is a semi tone off from being a dim7, i think the C needs to be flattened to build the dim7. and the 3rd chord i'm not sure about.
    They are written they way I wanted them, but other substitutions could be good as well.

oh, ok. the substitutions i got were from the midi file you sent me.

i'm gonna have to stick with those ones at first at least because or else it will be confusing for me.

i'd like to first get the way it's on the midi file down, then maybe play with other things.

i think it's a little different on piano also, because with guitar, there's often a clear most likely voicing for chords, whereas on piano, there really isn't any at all, so it's easy to play voicings that make it sound less nice. timing is pretty key too with different voicings and stuff, or substitutions i find.

i guess i'll go through it all with a chord finder. i could post my findings also. one thing that kind of sucks with reaper is that it can't do all of this for me. cubase or somethign like that would be able to because they have standard notation as well.

gersdal: many thanks for the pdf's you've posted, these will be printed and studied,...though I still have to transcribe the melody - ( four versions of the real book and no transcriptions for this tune ! ? ) )

Just a note concerning my interest in identifying scales for imrov. : I do tend to approach these tunes through the chords, but sometimes am at a loss for passing tones, (identifying the scales identifies possibilities for these) but JonR may have provided a "lightbulb moment" with his statement about notes from surrounding chords,......one of those obvious things, I'm embarrassed it hadn't occurred to me earlier.

-best,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mjo View Post
    Just a note concerning my interest in identifying scales for imrov. : I do tend to approach these tunes through the chords, but sometimes am at a loss for passing tones, (identifying the scales identifies possibilities for these) but JonR may have provided a "lightbulb moment" with his statement about notes from surrounding chords,......one of those obvious things, I'm embarrassed it hadn't occurred to me earlier.
    The other handy strategy for passing notes is a half-step below each chord tone (regardless of key).

As I think I said, the "notes from surrounding chords" method is a practical way of finding a suitable scale without thinking "scale", and staying linked to the current chord at the same time.

It does miss some of the more academic bebop choices (such as the altered scale), but will get you through any strange chord sequence situation unscathed.

Right now I don't have to upload. Next time I will surely upload a track.
    http://youtubecomments.aircus.com/mixcloudplays