Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Chord structure were to start

Chord structure were to start

I have some chords that i just can not for the kife of me figure out

----!---!---!---!----!---
    ----!--------F#-------
    ----!---!-E-!----------
    ----!---!---!----------
    E--!------------C#----
    ----!---!---!---!----!----
    7th fret

Its starting onthe 7th fret, i know its an E but what i have spent the last two
    Hours trying to figure it out

E 1st
    F# 2nd
    G#
    A
    B
    C#7th
    D#

please can some one shead some light i'v search hight and low and gone throught the forums here which are absolutly packed with info but can't figure this chord out

Take another look at what you posted. I question this being what you wanted to show us, i.e. the 5th string and are all strings sounded or do you mute some of them.

Here is a chord generator that lets you move the dots around and then it tells you what you have invented. Perhaps that will answer your question.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php
    Grab the dots and move them off the fretboard -- that puts the generator into the "let's see what you have here" mode. Then place the dots where you want them and click the "search" button. The generator will give you a chord name or say; "Sorry currently unable to find a match". If you get the "unable to find" flag go to the following site and figure what could work.

This site should also help you see what you have. It's one of the better chord formula sites.
    http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 02-16-2008 at 04:48 AM.

yep! i should have taken a better look at what i'd posted.
    your right Malcom its actually like this.

----!---!---!---!----!---
    ----!--------F#-------
    ----!---!-E-!----------
    ----!---!---!-----C#---
    E--!-------------------
    ----!---!---!---!----!----

E 1st
    F# 2nd
    G#
    A
    B
    C#6th
    D#

Those two site you gave me are really cool sights, i'v being trying to find a site like that chordbook one for ages. Unfortunatley it was unable to match what i put in and the other site dosn't have any formulas with the 1st 2nd 6th so i still don't know what kind of an E chord it is prosuming it is an E chord because im playing two Enotes

For 1 2 6 you could call it E6sus2 (no5th). Pretty uncommon. Are you playing it as a melody? If it's in time then it may be more of E 8ves into F#5.
    Other perspectives whould be
    From F# 1 5 b7 = F#7 no 3rd
    From C# 1 b3 4 = C#min add 11
    Last edited by Ken Valentino; 02-16-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks for your reply Ken no i'm not playing it as a melody i'm strumming it as a chord.
    so i'm gonna call it an E6sus2 how can you figure that out? Cause everywhere i'v looked there is nothing with that formula. the thing is,
    i have two or three other songs like this, with uncommom chord progressions, that i can not name (apart from the root) because there uncommon and as you have stated (aswell as other ppl on other threads) they could be called a number of different chords. So what i'm trying to say is, were do i start (as a novice) to begin to figure out the names, if i can have more than one chord name for an uncommon chord(s)

Is it the name closest to the one i feel is the actual chord?
    Whats your method for your uncommon chord progressions?
    I really want to get my head around this one so any tips would be greatly appreciate.

How do you go about finding the name? Here is what I do, that does not make it THE way:

I take the notes in the chord and put them into interval order. To do that you have to decide what scale you are working with. This may be hit and miss and you have to rethink your scale.

Then I would go to the chord formula chart I gave you and see what I can come up with.
    A 1-3-5 would be the major chord.
    A 1-b3-5 would be the minor chord.

OK that out of the way next I'd take a look at the extensions that are added to the basic major or minor chord. With the C chord if you also had an A#/Bb that would be C7, just a B would be a Cmaj7, etc. etc. And don't forget about the 9th, 11th or 13th extensions.

From there you just keep looking at what/how a diminished or augmented note would fit into the chord and change the chord's name.

After that I'd remember slash chords and see if a bass note had been added and if so a slash chord could raise it's head.

In general, just wade through all the possibilities starting with:
    Is it major or minor.
    What are the extensions.
    Is something augmented or diminished -- raised or lowered a half tone.
    Look out for slash chords.
    And remember the possibility of a power chord, i.e. a 1-5 chord or even a 1-7 chord and that roots and 5th are sometime not necessary.

The possibilities go on and on.......... IMHO Its art as much as it is science
    Last edited by Malcolm; 02-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.