PDA

View Full Version : Eric's Sus2 lick

metallibeast
01-15-2003, 04:31 PM
What's up?

Hi Eric,
I wanted to ask you more about the Sus2 lick shown in the pulse newsletter (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/pulse/view_nl.php?id=3#4)

The lick is in E minor, so my question is if I'm playing in a band, say with a bassist, drummer and/or rhythm guitarist or keyboardist. How would I actually use this lick in my playing? If the guitarist is playing a Em chord can I play this lick over it? I understand that sus chords or appergios would give you a suspend feeling, wanting to resolve, whats the best way to use this lick?

-Beast

EricV
01-16-2003, 12:23 AM
One thing I usually do first when I wanna try something like that, before getting into any analyzing or whatever, I either put on a jam track in a certain key or program a simple chord in Powertab and try the lick.
The lick is tabbed out in the key of Emin, and you can play it over an Em ( or over D5-E5, or a G )... BUT since sus2-chords really are neither major nor minor, you can use that same lick in the key of A maj too ( IV and V= D Maj / E Maj )... or A min ( IV and V= Dmin Emin, in that case you might have to stretch a bit more since itŽll most likely sound better if you play the an F instead of F# in the Esus 2 ), or in D Maj.
Try it out... it might take some experimenting cuz some of those possibilities will sound odd, but maybe youŽll find some cool new sounds...
Eric

szulc
01-16-2003, 02:59 AM
B E F# A D E

These also could be thought of as B sus4 and A sus4.

Am B E Harmonic
A Bm Key of D
A B Key of E
Am Bm Key of G

Dm E A Harmonic
D Em Key of G
D E Key of A
Dm Em Key of C