PDA

View Full Version : Classical songs...

Simon3
01-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi,
I'm a rock/ shred metal guitarist but after listening to "Dee" by Randy Rhoads I would really like to learn some more classical playing. ( dont worry I'm not deserting rock :) )
I've learnt Dee so could any of you please tell me some good ( preferably sad) sad songs or some tab I should learn. If any of you have access to sound files of these songs please tell me.
Thanks v.much,
Si. ;)

Bizarro
01-10-2003, 06:37 AM
Try Malaguena, Bach's Bouree in Em (Dee borrows from this a tiny bit). Pachelbel's Canon in D is cool too...

I'm sure some others out there have more ideas. I can't seem to remember any of the names of these things anymore. It's been 15 years since my classical studies!

Schooligo
01-10-2003, 07:45 AM
"please tell me some good ( preferably sad) sad songs or some tab I should learn"

just as it can be hard to narrow it down to just a few Guitarists that inspire me, I'd like to name many songs that translate well to Classical Guitar & are part of the Repertoire.

a song that comes to mind when you ask for "sad songs" is

Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto In D Major especially the 2nd movement-Largo

Composed by Antonio Vivaldi written in regards to the Classical period.

This is one of the most popular of the Vivaldi concertos, as well as being a cool Classical Guitar piece.

Contains 3 Movements:

I. Allegro giusto

II. Largo - This is the sad melodic part

The Melodic slow movement has been widely recorded(I've heard a great version by Sharon Isbin) Used in movie scores & commercials

III. Allegro

Also I'd recommend for just Catchy sounding Guitar

Isaac Albeniz: Asturias(Leyenda)

Composed by Isaac Albeniz written in regards to the Romantic period.

a piano piece translates exceptionally well to Guitar & talk about Awesome sounding Guitar parts.

From a practical Guitarist point of view:

Play this as a Classical Guitarist-(Fingerstyle Nylon gut string in a Classical Style also this song includes some Flamenco style)

&/or apply this to Pick Style Guitar as many of the Riffs in this song are Great w/ Distortion, Acoustic open strings, etc.

These are 2 of my Favs!

Hope this is helpful!!

szulc
01-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Requerdos del Alhambra
Presto from violin sonata in Gm -JSB
Air on a G string
Lute Suites
Invention 13
Cello Suites
Prelude in C Major
Rondo Alla turka -Mozart
Symphony 40 theme
Fur Elise -Beethovan
Moonlght Sonata

Bizarro
01-11-2003, 04:43 PM
I like the song choices! I might work on some of these myself... I forgot all about several of them, like Leyenda and Alhambra. Those are some of my favorites!:D

Shane
01-12-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by szulc
Cello Suites

All Bach's cello suites are major szulc, :P

But the Lute Suite's are definitely worth the time. Are you talking about the rendition of "Air" by Thomas Campion sz?

Shane
01-12-2003, 05:26 AM
The classical piece that I am working on right now is by Hietor Villa-Lobos and it his "Etude no.1." It's a beast to get up to speed...

...you can get power tabs for it easily

Bizarro
01-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Shane, I like that one! I worked on that for quite awhile back in the dark ages. What tempo are you shooting for? Are you using standard p-i-m-a picking and rigorous classical technique on a classical guitar? It would also be a great exercise with a pick, which you may (or may not) be going for.

I tended to let my thumb do too much work on the low strings for those things.

Has anyone played Fur Elise on guitar? That's been on the backburner for awhile now. I'm having trouble with the arrangement and the relatively narrow tonal range of the guitar...:(

Shane
01-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Bizarro - I am using p-i-m-a classical technique for this one, along with turning the tab column on power-tab off, :D

But yeah - I think that the "P-I-P-I-P-M-I-A-M-A-I-M-P-I-P-I-P..." is excellent practice for anyone's strumming hand. The fastest I can play it is Allegro - 144 BPM, but I have this recording of Pepe Romero playing it at a prestissimo 192 :eek:
Fur Elise is a great one too, that has been on my "to do" list for a while. By the way, have you played Villa-Lobos' Etude # 11 Bizarro? I am wondering what you think of that one

Bizarro
01-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Shane,

144 bpm is quick for that song! I haven't heard it at 192. You must have good right hand technique...

I don't recall learning Etude #11. I learned Etude #1 from an instructor, and I never did have the sheet music to all of them (I don't even know how many exist...:( )

szulc
01-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Shane ,
Why don't you post an mp3 of you playing this a 144?

Bizarro
01-13-2003, 02:52 AM
Good luck recording a nylon string! That's one of the toughest things to capture on tape, especially at home.

I've tried recording classical pieces on my electric (clean) and it doesn't sound too good. I did play Canon in D on a Tele for my cousin's wedding, but that's a whole different story! That's only 80 bpm or so...

Shane
01-13-2003, 09:09 PM
!!!

Szulc, do you have any recording advice? I have acid pro 3.0 and a mic on my monitor, but when i try recording my classical guitar it just doesn't get it, all you can hear is a blur. Bizarro, it's actually left-hand technique for me, because I'm a left-handed guitarist, :D But thank-you for the compliment. By the way, do you know of any other etudes/pieces, not necessarily from Villa-Lobos, that I could study, as far as classical material goes, I really am only familiar with Bach's Lute Suites, and a lot of Villa-Lobos material (along with a little Sor and Campion). If you have some other suggestions, I would be very grateful, thanks!

szulc
01-13-2003, 10:47 PM
I have made some impressive recordings using an inexpensive condenser mic. Get your mic (best if you have 2) close enough to get a good signal, without clipping.