PDA

View Full Version : Theory (general)

Joel
12-01-2002, 05:42 PM
All about theory. Scales Major, Major harmonic, minor antique, harmonic, bachian, melodic. Notes, how to write them. Some history. Different ways or reasoning it. Concepts.

szulc
12-01-2002, 05:53 PM
What? Are you asking a question or telling us something?

Bongo Boy
12-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Sky blue-pink. Oneness. Everything, yet nothing at all. No beginning, yet neverending. Music, how to sing it. Up, down all around. A single drop of water in the ocean...be the ball. :D

szulc
12-02-2002, 01:33 AM
The earth, the sun, wind, lubricated condoms, melted marshmellows...... Slippery green lichen and orange luminescent rays of thought permeate my neurons with the isolation or being in a very crowded room. Once before I was here there is a place where the shallow poodles wander aimlessly and vommit their partially but not completely and yellow dwarves are happily joining in the frolic of the when you are finished.

Yes, I too, can't remember the 70's, because I wasn't really there either.

szulc
12-02-2002, 01:55 AM
Scales Major, Major harmonic, minor antique, harmonic, bachian, melodic. Do Re Me Fa Sol La Ti
Do Re Me Fa Sol #La Ti
?
Do Re bMe Fa Sol bLa Ti
?
Do Re bMe Fa Sol La Ti

Notes, how to write them. With a pen.

Some history.In 1066 the battle of hastings......

Different ways or reasoning it. 1+1+1 = 3, 1+2 = 3
Concepts. Are we a brain in a vat in the laboratory or can we really be sure this is real?

Zatz
12-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Geez ppl! What a thread :D

Bongo Boy, you gave it a push ;)

szulc LOL oh my :)

I hope Joel had fun too :) though I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant :D

People seem like too eager to develop any kind of concept here :)

I, too, can't remeber 70's :) (at least the first 7 years of 70's since I was born in 1978 :) )

Zatz.

EricV
12-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Guys, you´re cracking me up...
:)
Eric

Joel
12-02-2002, 02:16 PM
When I wrote the post, above, I thought that I was filling a kind of subtitle of the major thread name, in order to guide you in the sort of topics we would discuss here. The problem is that I didn't really consider it to be as confusing to you as it turned to be.
Anyway, THIS is a thread wich only topic is Theory. But only the General Theory (Harmony, Intervals, etc.) NO QUESTIONS ABOUT GUITAR TECHNIQUE.

Bongo Boy
12-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Sorry we had so much fun at your expense!! I thought your original post was probably based on something serious and useful--but it was really funny at the time. No offense intended, I hope you know. :)

Joel
12-02-2002, 05:23 PM
I thought you really didn't understand it. Ok. So, if you want to discuss any subject (theory only), post it here.

szulc
12-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Scales:
Major harmonic (Does this mean Ionian b6?)
minor antique (What is this?)
bachian (What is this?)

Notes, how to write them. (What? Find a good beginners book on reading music?)
Some history. (What? History of Music Theory? History of sliced bread?)
Different ways or reasoning it. (What????????)
Concepts. (What? Like what is a half step?)

Maybe Joel should read the existing threads before he tries to recreate ALL of the Music theory threads that already exist.
There are two problems here.
One is Joel is not very good at english (this I understand).
The other is he hasn't read enough of the existing threads here to be able to ask specific questions or discuss specific topics.
The threads are here to allow people to share information and ask questions. If you have a question to ask, then ask it, be as specific as possible to make sure it can be answered. If you want to stand up and tell everyone about some great epiphany, then stand up and be heard. If you want to solicit opinions then solicit them. But this doesn't fit the paradigm I am used to having here in these forums, it is wishy washy. What could anyone actually write in response to this?
Maybe Bongo got me carried away with the whole surrealism thing but how do you respond to nonsense without resorting to nonsense?

EricV
12-02-2002, 09:50 PM
I think he was trying to list all theory-related topics that could be discussed at the "Theory"-forum... like a definition
Eric

Bongo Boy
12-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Joel
I thought you really didn't understand it. Ok. So, if you want to discuss any subject (theory only), post it here.

No, I really DID NOT understand it, but I think what you're trying to say is that you would like this particular forum to exclude discussions of instrumental technique. If so, that's a valid opinion and I think that view has been generally supported. I looked at many of the topics discussed here, and I think they are sticking close to music theory--in some cases the discussion is theory as it pertains to, or is applied to, guitar. I think that is natural and not a problem--one way for folks to learn theory is to appreciate its application, and relate it to something they already know.

If at any time you find a thread that seems misplaced, you can always request that it be moved. Sometimes folks just aren't sure where something goes, or aren't paying attention--I'd rather a member start a thread in the wrong forum than not start one at all.

Joel: did you feel that some of the topics in this forum don't belong in a Music Theory forum, or were you suggesting that the forum be restructured to include subcategories (sub-sections)? The intent of the Practice and Performance forum is to discuss practice and exercise as well as live or recorded performance. Either of those topics would be the right place for technique-specific questions. Is that also your understanding?